PDA

View Full Version : What is the best blade for the job?

Dan Mages
11-14-2004, 11:16 PM
I need to get a jigsaw blade for a project I am working on. I am doing a job that will require some moderate curves in 3/4" ash. I tried to use a 20 tpi Blade from bosch, but it did not work very well. After a few inches, it started throwing a few sparks :eek: ! I sure hope there is no damage to my festool.

Thanks,

Dan

Mike Kelly
11-15-2004, 3:24 PM
Sparks usually come from metal to metal contact. Check for nails, brads, staples etc before proceeding with a coarser blade. Were you on a metal surface by chance?

Pat Monahan
11-16-2004, 2:10 AM
Dan
Check out the fine print on the packaging as to the type of material the blade is designed for. For myself, I always look for the blades that are compatible with my jigsaw, then look for which blades will provide a smooth cut ( I hate sanding ragged edges in tight curves). The front to back size of the blade determines how tight a radius you can cut - the smaller the front to back size, the tighter the radius. As far as brands, I've used Makita, B & D Pirahna (both good), American Vermont (or Vermont American - I can never remember!) slightly less blade life and Mastercraft from Canadian Tire (a complete waste of money)
As for sparks, the only thing I can think of apart from what has beenpointed out above is a misalignment of some sort with the blade - any debris in the blade holder to cause this? :confused:
Hope this helps
Pat

Steve Jenkins
11-16-2004, 7:02 AM
Dan, make sure that the blade guides below the bearing aren't touching the blade.