PDA

View Full Version : Corian

Gail LaPorte
04-18-2010, 4:54 PM
I went to Home Depot to ask about corian but they could not tell me how thick it comes. I only have a 40 watt laser and I would like to try some?
Thanks
Penny

Scott Shepherd
04-18-2010, 5:26 PM
It's main stay in the full color line is 1/2" and 3/4", I believe. They make 1/4", but I don't think 1/4" is available in all their colors. You won't cut it very successfully with the laser. It engraves beautifully, but doesn't cut well.

Gary Hair
04-18-2010, 8:00 PM
All colors are in 1/2", some are in 1/4", I don't know which (if any) come in 3/4". You don't want to cut with your laser, it's just not gonna happen, or at least not in any time you want to do it in. When I first got the laser I tried cutting some 1/2" and it took about 20 passes at a pretty slow speed. I don't recall the exact time or speed/power I used but that's because I'll NEVER do that again! I have a cnc router now and would only use it for intricate shapes, not the laser.

Gary

Bruce Volden
04-18-2010, 8:33 PM
If you have access to a bandsaw you can resaw it to a thickness which CAN be cut with the laser!! On my 25W machines that was about 1/8" (maybe less) and I could then work my magic!!;) It is fun stuff for sure but don't just look for Corian as there are many other solid surface materials out there. And those other mfgr's carry colors that will blow you away...jade with the veining, lapis lazuli?, rose quartz....MANY

Bruce

Keith Outten
04-19-2010, 7:32 AM
Be careful with some brands of solid surface material, they are resin based plastic and much softer than Corian. Whether they are laser safe I don't know so do your homework.

Belinda Barfield
04-19-2010, 7:36 AM
Be careful with some brands of solid surface material, they are resin based plastic and much softer than Corian. Whether they are laser safe I don't know so do your homework.

I'm going to second Keith on this one. The product that has all the wonderful colors (a gorgeous blue by the way) is not the same as Corian. It's pretty smelly when cut with a saw, and more susceptible to cracking.

Larry Bratton
04-20-2010, 1:52 PM
I have cut 1/4" in one pass at like 2% speed, 100pwr and 5000 frequency. LG HiMacs (solid acrylic as Corian) has a great selection of colors. You can find it for sale online at various places. 1/2" with a 40watt machine is neigh on to impossible. It cuts like a dream though on a CNC or regular wood working power tools.

Larry Bratton
04-20-2010, 1:57 PM
I'm going to second Keith on this one. The product that has all the wonderful colors (a gorgeous blue by the way) is not the same as Corian. It's pretty smelly when cut with a saw, and more susceptible to cracking.
Belinda,
What brand are you referring to?

Belinda Barfield
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Belinda,
What brand are you referring to?

The brand is Avonite.

Gail LaPorte
04-21-2010, 6:16 PM
The reason I asked about the corian was to try some of the the bracelets that have been posted on the creek that where done in acrylic. Some one said corian would stand up better. Guess I need to read more of the post on it before I jump in with both feet.

Larry Bratton
04-21-2010, 6:26 PM
The brand is Avonite.
Yes, I was aware that Avonite is not solid acrylic, Thanks

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-21-2010, 6:31 PM
Thanks for the good info.
I was just asked to work with some "counter top" material and
I pretty much thought they were all the same. Now I know to be careful.

Funny how just the right topic come up at just this time.

Scott Shepherd
04-21-2010, 7:37 PM
Yes, some of it will throw up some serious sparks when engraving. I think I recall a friend doing it and messed his lens up. Pitting the lens from all the stuff shooting up. I'd have to check with him to make sure that's accurate, but I think that's what he told me some time ago.

Mike Christen
04-22-2010, 8:04 AM
Yes, some of it will throw up some serious sparks when engraving. I think I recall a friend doing it and messed his lens up. Pitting the lens from all the stuff shooting up. I'd have to check with him to make sure that's accurate, but I think that's what he told me some time ago.

That happened to me, rastering hard many sparks and when I cleaned it I noticed lots of pits. Luckily epilog replaced it under warranty. Haven't tried corian since then, if I try again I will reinstall the pitted lens.

Keith Outten
04-22-2010, 8:16 AM
The spark issue is not new to me as I have heard Ed Lang discuss the problem a time or two. I wonder if the problem is caused by the lens being used? A longer focal length lens allows more distance between the top of the material and the lens (I think) and thus eliminates the problem.

I have never seen any sparks when engraving Corian on my Epilog Legend or the Xenetech we use at CNU.

Ed Lang
04-22-2010, 8:27 AM
I was using a 2.0 lens and with some solid surface material you get a lot of sparks shooting up at the lens. With other solid surface material you do not.

What focal length lens are you using Keith? 2.0?

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2010, 9:13 AM
I think it's Avonite or that other one, what is it, Star something? I think they are the major issue, not so much Corian. I've not seen sparks from Corian either.

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
I think it's Avonite or that other one, what is it, Star something? I think they are the major issue, not so much Corian. I've not seen sparks from Corian either.

Staron. I have two sheets of Gibraltar coming in tomorrow. As best I recall I haven't tried engraving Gibraltar. The material is coming in for a purpose other than lasering. If I have any left over I'll try it out and let y'all know what happens.

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
So Is there any way you can tell which type you have been given when you are just handed a small chunk and asked to laser something?

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 10:59 AM
So Is there any way you can tell which type you have been given when you are just handed a small chunk and asked to laser something?

Not really Paul, unless you work with all of the different brands on a regualr basis. You could, I guess, go online and try to match the color but that would take some time. The polyester products have a distinct odor when cut. That's about the only way I can think of to tell if you have acrylic or polyester. Maybe Keith or Larry will have better info.

Keith Outten
04-22-2010, 8:47 PM
Ed, yes, its a 2.0 lens but Epilog may have a different lens design than other manufacturers.

Belinda, I don't know how you could tell one manufacturer from another in some colors. Other colors are unique and they would be easier to track down. I have manufacturer's swatch kits for both Corian and Avonite that I often use to identify colors but most of the solid surface material that I acquire is direct from a Corian distributor or from one local top shop that rarely uses anything but Corian.

Carrie Vasquez
06-08-2010, 3:55 PM
Click on the following link and you will see some 1/4" offerings from LG

There is also 1/4" Glacier White in the Select Grade section and a few 1/4" sheets in the LG 1/2" section. Great prices/selection on Corian, Avonite, Staron, etc. Hope this helps! :)

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-08-2010, 4:53 PM
Click on the following link and you will see some 1/4" offerings from LG ..... Great prices/selection on Corian, Avonite, Staron, etc. Hope this helps! :)

Carrie, I see you recently joined SMC and your first post is encouraging us to click on a link to a company that does not even provide an address on their web site. While we try not to be negative, this looks like an advertisement which is against the TOS. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself, what equipment you engrave with and what type of engraving you do. Are you located in the States, Canada, Europe .... ?? We would be more then happy to welcome you to SMC.

Scott Shepherd
06-08-2010, 6:05 PM
Carrie, with all due respect, the prices on that site are insane.

As an example, Corian, Glacier White goes for $8.83 per square foot when you buy it new. However, on the site you mentioned, it goes for $19.78 per foot.

I'm not sure how that's a good deal, unless you are the person selling it.

I've been to that site many time and I have yet to see anything that resembles a bargain or even a fair price for solid surface material.

Keith Outten
06-08-2010, 8:51 PM
Wow!!

My price from my local Dupont distributor for full sheets of Glacier White Corian is $7.50 per sqaure foot ($225.00 per sheet). Delivery is right to the shop door for 50 bucks, it's free if I purchase a large quantity.

I definately can't afford Solidsurface.com :)

Carrie Vasquez
06-20-2010, 4:25 PM
Apologies, I did not intend to offend anyone by my post. I am just trying spread the word on related forums because I know it can be hard for many people to find a source for this material without being certified. I guess some of the prices do seem high if you are getting it direct for less. Anyway, I looked at the forum rules, and I see that there should be no blatant commercial promotion, and although I do feel like it was relevant to the other posts, sorry for breaking the rules. Keith, as an administrator, who should be contacted about maybe advertising/promoting in a more appropriate manner? Thanks!

Keith Outten
06-21-2010, 6:43 AM
Carrie,

We will send you some information concerning a banner advertisement here.

Dan Hintz
06-21-2010, 6:44 AM
Carrie,

Keith is the correct person to speak with.

That said, the link up above needs to be edited until such time as an advertising agreement is in place...

Scott Shepherd
06-21-2010, 8:39 AM
Carrie, you do not have to be certified to buy Corian to make things other than countertops. Dupont opened that up some time ago and they will sell direct to people that use Corian for other purposes without having to be certified.