PDA

View Full Version : Some of my recent projects, Opinions?

Kenneth George
11-14-2004, 10:47 PM
I would very much like to get some opinions on some of my turnings and possibly some constructive criticism or critique. I like to make finials and then inlay them into my boxes and I have no idea what I am going to make when I start turning the wood I seem to just kind of go after it. I practice with different shapes and tools to see what happens. I seem to be addicted to making boxes for some reason. I have made many bowls, goblets and other such items but I really enjoy making boxes.

I made these first two last weekend.

This is Poplar and Black Walnut;
http://www.theturnersshop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/DSCF2493.jpg

This is Bocote with a Blackwood Finial;
http://www.theturnersshop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/DSCF2491.jpg

These two were made this weekend.

This is Hard Maple with a Blackwood Finial;

http://www.theturnersshop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/DSCF2533.jpg

This is Granadillo with a Lemon Wood Finial;
http://www.theturnersshop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/DSCF2532.jpg

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Jim Ketron
11-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Nothing but WOW they look Great!!!!!

Jim

Alan Ryalls
11-15-2004, 3:48 AM
A very nice contrast of woods,grain,finishes.
could take pride of place in anyones home.
regards alan.

Michael Stafford
11-15-2004, 7:34 AM
Can't think of anything to say except great work and keep it up!

Glenn Hodges
11-15-2004, 8:03 AM
I am impressed with your work, thanks for sharring it with us.

Tyler Howell
11-15-2004, 8:28 AM
I think you better keep posting more of your work. These are truly a day brightener:cool:
Great gifts, I'm sure they would move well at a crafts show.:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2004, 8:35 AM
Absolutely beautiful!

Mark Singer
11-15-2004, 8:50 AM
Really beautiful....great work and great finish!

Rick Prevett
11-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Great job on the boxes. I especially like the first piece shown, with the inlay. Would you eloborate on your procedure for creating these?

thanks

rick

Carl Eyman
11-15-2004, 12:51 PM
While elaborating talk some on how you get the nice shiny finish. Great work!

Roger Fitzsimonds
11-15-2004, 2:01 PM
Very nice work ans I really like the finish. Is it lacquer?

Roger

Kenneth George
11-15-2004, 2:16 PM
That first box in the pictures was actually the result of a tutorial I had done by request. I got inspired by Bill G. at one point while reading his tutorials. I really liked the idea of sharing information and things learned. So I started to record the different processes that I have learned and share them with a group of people on a different forum I frequent.

You will find that particular box tutorial here;
http://www.theturnersshop.com/turning/vsbox/vs_box1.html
I am currently working on one that will go into detail on my finishing. I get asked about it quite a lot. So if you can stand my ramblings I would be more than happy to post when I have completed tutorials.

Thanks for the kind words on my work though.

Chris Padilla
11-15-2004, 3:46 PM
Kenneth,

Is that a quarter next to them for scale? If so, very nice job on the projects but also a very nice photography job. Without the quarter, I thought they would have been quart size vessels of some kind. Are they salt/pepper shakers or toothpick holders or just ornamental? Either way, nice use of wood...the last one is especially sweet. :)

Steve Inniss
11-15-2004, 5:28 PM
Kenneth,
Thanks for posting those pics - fantastic. I'd pick up the Maple Blackwood one in a flash. -Steve

Ted Shrader
11-15-2004, 5:33 PM
Kenneth -

Very inpressive work! I can see why you like the addition of a contrasting finial. Makes for a very appealing piece.

Regards,
Ted

Kenneth George
11-15-2004, 6:51 PM
Roger, no it is a friction lacquer that is buffed with carnauba wax.

Chris, yes that is a quarter for just that reason as it does show scale. They are all boxes and the wife has found a Varity of uses for them from Q-tip holder and so on. I give away a lot of them to different people at work and to my in-laws. The wife gives them as gifts to her friends.

Again, thanks for all the kind comments on by turnings. Kind of makes me feel that I am doing something right.

Christopher Pine
11-15-2004, 7:53 PM
Very nice work! I would offer only one bit of advice.
Do not sit on them!
Chris :)

Karl Laustrup
11-15-2004, 9:59 PM
WOW!!!! Beautiful work. Please post more. I really enjoy looking at beautiful wood.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-15-2004, 11:31 PM
Ken Let me add my admiration.

Beautiful work and I read your tutorial ........... Well written.

Bruce

Rick Prevett
11-16-2004, 9:27 AM
Kenneth, thanks for the link to your site. That is one fine pictorial on box making.

rick

Keel McDonald
11-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Kenneth,

Nice job. I like to experiment with various tools and techniques too. Sometimes your best work comes from just "playing" around in the shop, not that any of us serious woodworkers "play" in our shop. Thanks for sharing.