PDA

View Full Version : Time To Core!

George Guadiane
04-18-2010, 1:05 PM
I don't normally do "production turning." But a client was taking down what she thought was a beloved hard maple tree... Turns out it was soft maple, but she wants salad bowls, at least 6 for family members and friends, so I took as much as my poor little truck would hold and roughed out the pictured blanks.
I have a Oneway coring setup and just got the biggest cutter set (hope I get to use it.
I don't know what all she's going to want, but after I get them cored, I'll contact her for the update... I'm starting to think I'll actually get them done for her by Christmas, even if I have to DNA all of them.
The wood is a little softer than I would like for salad bowls, but, I'm sure she'll be happy.

Nigel Tracy
04-18-2010, 3:04 PM
Those blanks look like they'll be great fun with the Oneway coring tools! I recently had the pleasure of trying that system. If by "client" you mean you're getting paid to do those bowls, that's awesome! Have fun :)

Ryan Baker
04-18-2010, 4:11 PM
If there's any question about it, I would suggest you clarify what your customer wants before you start coring, because you will need to take that into account if you want to produce a final shape much different from the curve of the coring blade.

Have fun with the coring.

charlie knighton
04-18-2010, 4:36 PM
very nice...

Bill Bolen
04-18-2010, 4:36 PM
Those are going to make someone very happy. Beautiful color showing even at the rough out stage. Looking forward to the finished pieces too...Bill..

Nigel Tracy
04-18-2010, 4:48 PM
If there's any question about it, I would suggest you clarify what your customer wants before you start coring, because you will need to take that into account if you want to produce a final shape much different from the curve of the coring blade...
It's funny how many times I've read this as a purported "disadvantage" of the oneway system. As I mentioned above, I recently had a chance to try the oneway, and unless you're trying to core a vase or something, i believe it is quite versatile, certainly for 90% of rough bowl shapes. Oh, by the way, I have the McNaughton, so that is a counter-biased statement.

Not trying to start anything, just sayin'

:)

Ryan Baker
04-18-2010, 5:03 PM
It's funny how many times I've read this as a purported "disadvantage" of the oneway system. As I mentioned above, I recently had a chance to try the oneway, and unless you're trying to core a vase or something, i believe it is quite versatile, certainly for 90% of rough bowl shapes. Oh, by the way, I have the McNaughton, so that is a counter-biased statement.

Not trying to start anything, just sayin'

:)

I didn't mean it as a disadvantage of the Oneway or any other system. I only meant that all coring systems cut blanks on a radius, and if you want to create a final shape significantly different from that you need to leave a thicker core so you have room to work it later. I like to have a rough idea what final shape I am after before I core blanks so that I can leave thick enough cores to start with and don't run out of wood later.

It sounds like your customer will be happy with whatever you come up with though.

David E Keller
04-18-2010, 5:26 PM
Beautiful wood... Looking forward to seeing the finished products.

Baxter Smith
04-18-2010, 5:28 PM
Those should be some very pretty bowls!

Nigel Tracy
04-18-2010, 6:26 PM
I didn't mean it as a disadvantage of the Oneway or any other system. I only meant that all coring systems cut blanks on a radius, and if you want to create a final shape significantly different from that you need to leave a thicker core so you have room to work it later...
Thanks for the clarification :) Yes, regardless of the coring system, or even during regular roughing with a gouge, one has to keep in mind the final shape desired.

I remain surprised at how versatile the Oneway is after having read so many opinions that suggested otherwise.

I agree, it sounds like the original poster's customers will be happy--who wouldn't be with any bowl from that interesting wood!

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2010, 11:07 PM
George those blanks should make for some nice coring. I enjoy my oneway coring system and don't seem to have a problem with core design. George did you get all four knives? I didn't because my lathe is 16" and the #4 knife is for 16" up.

George Guadiane
04-18-2010, 11:26 PM
George those blanks should make for some nice coring. I enjoy my oneway coring system and don't seem to have a problem with core design. George did you get all four knives? I didn't because my lathe is 16" and the #4 knife is for 16" up.
Thanks Bernie,
I did JUST get the biggest one. If these blanks are not big enough to require their use, I'll throw on some of the white oak burl I just got.

Steve Schlumpf
04-18-2010, 11:40 PM
George - those sure are some beautiful rough outs! Your customer is going to be thrilled when she sees the finished bowls! Looking forward to it!

Roger Bullock
04-19-2010, 6:42 AM
You got to love the color in that maple, and you have a lot of color based on the photos. Should make for some nice looking finished bowls.
Also based on the photo. On our side of the tracks, we have concrete for a shop floor, looks like you guys of the good side of the tracks have T&G hardwood on yours. :rolleyes:

John Keeton
04-19-2010, 6:55 AM
You just gotta love those little Ambrosia beetles!! They may wreak havoc on a maple tree, but they are certainly a gift to turners.

George Guadiane
04-19-2010, 9:58 AM
Thank you to everyone for your comments and support!

I didn't mean it as a disadvantage of the Oneway or any other system. I only meant that all coring systems cut blanks on a radius, and if you want to create a final shape significantly different from that you need to leave a thicker core so you have room to work it later. I like to have a rough idea what final shape I am after before I core blanks so that I can leave thick enough cores to start with and don't run out of wood later.

It sounds like your customer will be happy with whatever you come up with though.

I was going to say, I LIKE the Oneway system (so far). I am fortunate in having explained that the bowl's shape will be determined, in large part by the diameter desired and the ability of the wood to deliver it. She understand that they won't be identical (or even close).

Thanks for the clarification :) Yes, regardless of the coring system, or even during regular roughing with a gouge, one has to keep in mind the final shape desired.

I remain surprised at how versatile the Oneway is after having read so many opinions that suggested otherwise.

I agree, it sounds like the original poster's customers will be happy--who wouldn't be with any bowl from that interesting wood!

Actually, I wouldn't have taken the commission if I had known that the wood for salad bowls was going to be SOFT maple. Not that it's not beautiful, it IS beautiful wood, or because it won't work, but because it's a little soft for this particular use.
The Oneway coring system is the most expensive, but, from what I read the easiest to use. I've had no problems with it, so far.

You got to love the color in that maple, and you have a lot of color based on the photos. Should make for some nice looking finished bowls.
Also based on the photo. On our side of the tracks, we have concrete for a shop floor, looks like you guys of the good side of the tracks have T&G hardwood on yours. :rolleyes:

I hope the color holds, I'm not going to use anything more than oil and wax for the finish.
The floor is in a 1909 barn, on the second floor. I can shake the whole building with an off balance piece. BUT, it's a lot more comfortable to stand on.

You just gotta love those little Ambrosia beetles!! They may wreak havoc on a maple tree, but they are certainly a gift to turners.

I agree, I LOVE ambrosia maple.

Reed Gray
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Nothing wrong with soft maple for bowls. I do a lot of them out of Big Leaf Maple, and they sell just fine. I prefer harder woods myself, and the softer ones just don't feel as silky as the others.

Nothing wrong with the Oneway coring system either. Anything you remove from the center is a gift, and money saved. You can adjust the core to just about any shape you want, as long as it is smaller. Most important thing is to make sure you leave the bowl you cored thick enough for what you want to do with it after it has been cored.

The McNaughton can take flatter cores than the Oneway, and is faster, at least once you have it figured out.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
I was going to say George that there is nothing wrong with soft woods. I attended a demo by Mike Mahoney and he prefers soft woods for his utility items.

George Guadiane
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm just concerned that salad bowls will get obviously banged up quickly, like before the new owner forgets who made them:eek:
I know that God made the wood, but PEOPLE don't always understand when their expectations are not met or exceeded.

Bill Bulloch
04-20-2010, 1:31 PM
... I'm starting to think I'll actually get them done for her by Christmas, even if I have to DNA all of them..

George, if you will take a few days and build you one of those little Bowl Kilns you could have them ready by the 4th of July. I just Kiln dried 11 board feet of Magnolia to less than 7 percent in 23 days. If time matters, the kiln is worth the hundred bucks (or so) it cost to build.

Either way, those blanks are going to make some nice looking bowls.