PDA

View Full Version : Replacing pulleys... how?

Brian Greb
04-18-2010, 12:43 PM
I am in the process of upgrading the pulleys on my delta 36-979 contractors saw. I his a minor snag though, I can't seem to get the other half of the split pulley off of the arbor. anyone have a suggestion on how to get the little b@$tard off.

Rich Neighbarger
04-18-2010, 12:53 PM
A bearing puller won't work? Heat may work.

Brian Greb
04-18-2010, 1:35 PM
thanks for the suggestion but I got it... I had to use wd-40 and a punch.

glenn bradley
04-18-2010, 2:07 PM
Success!!!!

Wayne Hendrix
04-18-2010, 2:10 PM
Are you doing the saw performance package from In-Line Industries? If so will you post up your opinions on the difference in performance? I have the same saw as you and have been thinking of changing the pulleys and belt to see if it helps with vibration.

Chip Lindley
04-18-2010, 4:36 PM
Glad you succeeded! At least your shaft is not worn, or the pulley would have come off *too easily!* Sometimes previous owners attach pulleys with a drop of LocTite for good measure. Judicious heat loosens that stuff.

The worst part of removing a stubborn pulley, gear, sprocket, etc., is to not ding up the pulley if it will be reused, or, especially, the shaft! A good quality bolt-head gear puller works wonders. So does an arbor press or hydraulic press.

Brian Greb
04-18-2010, 6:14 PM
Are you doing the saw performance package from In-Line Industries? If so will you post up your opinions on the difference in performance? I have the same saw as you and have been thinking of changing the pulleys and belt to see if it helps with vibration.

Hey Wayne,

Yep that's the upgrade I did, and yes it was worth the $ and the hassle. After completing the upgrade I tried the nickle test, the saw passed with flying colors, she cuts smooth and true ta-boot. If you buy the complete kit you'll probably have to shorten the link belt a bit, but that's easy to do.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I have added a cabinet below the extension wing to the left, this added about 200lbs~350lbs of mass to the saw(I have all of my saw accessories in the cab.)

Dan Karachio
04-18-2010, 6:55 PM
Hey Brian, got any pics of this cabinet you made and how it is mounted?

Wait a minute, wouldn't this make your contractor saw a "cabinet" saw? :D

Brian Greb
04-18-2010, 8:02 PM
Hey Brian, got any pics of this cabinet you made and how it is mounted?

Wait a minute, wouldn't this make your contractor saw a "cabinet" saw? :D

Here is how I did it;

Part the first: I made a torsion box extension to fill the space between my fence rails. This extension is bolted to the top of the saw and the fence rails.

Part the second: I constructed a simple 3 drawer chest, then I attached the cabinet to the lower stretcher of the TS (I used the bolt holes for the caster) and screwed the top of the cabinet to the torsion box wing.

Part the third: I put heavy duty leveler on the cabinet. and filled the drawers with all my saw stuff.

Part the next: I'm going to build a new base for the saw so I can ditch the splayed leg thing that waists storage space.

Here are some pics of the current set up.

Wayne Hendrix
04-18-2010, 8:55 PM
That looks great. I am definitely going to add that kit to my saw.

Maik Tobin
04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
I ordered the kit from In Line Industries last week and got a email back stating that they did not have the belt. Anyone know of another source?

Will Boulware
04-26-2010, 3:15 PM
I ordered the kit from In Line Industries last week and got a email back stating that they did not have the belt. Anyone know of another source?

Had the same thing happen to me with the craftsman kit I ordered. Found a link belt at Harbor Freight, of all places. AND IT WAS MADE IN THE USA!! It's a jacob's, i think. 5 feet for $24.95. Of course, i used a 20% coupon on it, so it 's not a bad deal at all at that price! I'm still waiting on my pulleys from InLine. Curious to know how long they take to get stuff to you? (ordered it sometime last week and haven't gotten a shipping notification, just a message saying they no longer had the 1/2 inch belts.)