PDA

View Full Version : Annual Belt Sander use

Kent A Bathurst
04-18-2010, 11:18 AM
The belt sander does stuff that nothing else can do nearly as well, but those tasks seem to come up rarely for me - maybe once per year.

However - yesterday in the middle of about 500 forstner-bit plunges to hog out mortises (PT posts for 6 planter boxes for large shrubs), the return spring on the DP broke. Ordered a new one - 3 business days to deliver. Seemed fair. Now what to do in the meantime? Already had my once-for-this-lifetime bloody accident with the DP - nothing left to prove on that score.

Tied a rope to one of the DP handles, looped it around the shaft twice, then through a small pulley mounted to the wall with an eye screw. Next - find something heavy to hang on the end of the rope. No chunks of wood weigh enough. Cans of paint only half full - too light. If I had an empty 1-gallon paint can, I could borrow some gravel form the neighbor's driveway - nope no cans. Hmmmmm........wandering around the shop looking for something dense and compact..........

EUREKA - Mr. Belt Sander is hanging off the rope as a counterweight..

As I said - the belt sander does stuff nothing else can do as well

Jim Rimmer
04-18-2010, 7:06 PM
Are you auditioning for the Red Green show? I would love to see a pic.

Kent A Bathurst
04-18-2010, 8:27 PM
Nah - If I was auditioning for the show, I'd have the sander plugged in and turned on, and use it to sand a board as it rides up and down.:D

Norris Randall
04-18-2010, 8:59 PM
Let's get serious about Belt Sander use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcC9YLuNSV4

How do you like that?:D