PDA

View Full Version : low angle block planes review wood magazine

Christopher Pine
11-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Just got latest issue of wood magazine and they did a review of low angle block planes. I found it interesting that the stanley plane scored very low in comparison to the others. Not suprising was the more expensive and known for there quality lie nielson scored best. I was wondering however the older stanley planes are they the basic same as the new ones? SO would an older stanley plane score as low as this one did? Would be interesting to hear from owners on here of all the different ones. They reviewed:
Anant
Lie Nielsen
Stanley
Veritas

Speak up if you own any of these low angle block planes would love to hear your review.. especially those who own several of the different ones or have owned them.

Chris

Bob Marino
11-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Well, I have the LV low angle block and think it's A-OK. It has a nice, solid feel, set screws for blade alignment and a very nice blade advancemnt.

Bob

Ed Falis
11-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Well, I have the LV low angle block and think it's A-OK. It has a nice, solid feel, set screws for blade alignment and a very nice blade advancemnt.

Bob

I'm with Bob as far as the Veritas goes, but I don't have much except a junkey contemporary Stanley to compare it to. My wife, the 20+ year carpenter / construction super loves the Veritas too.

- Ed

Mark Singer
11-14-2004, 10:57 PM
I have the Lie Neilsen and the Stanley 60 1/2...they are both good...but, the LN is a lot better and nicer to hold as well as adjust,

Steve Cox
11-14-2004, 11:05 PM
I have the LV and an older Stanley 60 1/2. I also have had the opportunity to compare my Stanley with the new ones and there is no comparison. On the older 60 1/2, the bed for the blade is much larger and supported more fully front to back. The maching is better on the old one as well. Having said that though, I almost always reach for the LV first as it is that much better for me than even the old Stanley.

Jim Becker
11-14-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm not surprised at the Top Tool pick on the L-N...it's a sweet tool and I'm pleased to own it, since I use it A LOT, even for an electron-burner. I've played with the LV at shows and it's also a very nice tool. I bet an older Stanley could be pleasant to use, but current versions even "look" bad to me!

Dave Wright #2
11-15-2004, 6:42 AM
I got into planing shortly after I started visiting woodworking forums (1997), which is why I don't have any of the Stanleys. I have a LN low angle adjustable mouth (equivalent of the Stanley 60 1/2?) and standard angle fixed mouth bronze body (LN 103). The adjustable mouth version, when sharpened well, set for a very light cut, and adjusted for minimal throat clearance, is the only plane I have that will plane anything without tearout. The fixed mouth block is the most comfortable plane I own - a true pleasure to use. It can take a somewhat heavier cut without tearout. I use the 103 more than any other plane...maybe more than any other tool in my shop except for the table saw.

Herb Blair
11-15-2004, 6:59 AM
I own the LN Low Angle Block Plane as well as the "Contractor Grade" Stanley 60 1/2. I find that the LN is easier to adjust and is my favorite. I spent considerable time tuning the Stanley, but it now performs on par with the LN in most applications. I typically use the Stanley for chamfering now. The LN is in use this week triming the ends of dovetails in a new "Plane Chest".

Bob Marino
11-15-2004, 7:19 AM
I own the LN Low Angle Block Plane as well as the "Contractor Grade" Stanley 60 1/2. I find that the LN is easier to adjust and is my favorite. I spent considerable time tuning the Stanley, but it now performs on par with the LN in most applications. I typically use the Stanley for chamfering now. The LN is in use this week triming the ends of dovetails in a new "Plane Chest".

Herb,

Not only is that LN plane nice to look at, so is that "Plane Chest". Not to hijack a thread, but can you provide some detail on that chest?

Bob

Herb Blair
11-15-2004, 7:32 AM
Bob,
I found that I needed a place to put my collection of planes. I designed the Chest so that a #7 and #6 Fit in the Lower drawer laying on their side.
The dimensions are 25" wide, 12" deep, and 17" tall. The bottom Drawer and the 3rd drawer are 4 1/2 deep, the others are 3 1/2 deep. The drawers are half-blind dovetailed at the front and through dovetails at the back. The carcase is QS White Oak, the drawer sides are hard maple.
The drawer glides are white oak, 3/4" x 5/8" inlet into dadoes in the carcase.
The drawers will be lined with green felt.
The challenge was to mortise the 8 finger pulls. I build a couple of templates to drill the hole, and to inlet the pull.
What is not shown is the end handles, and the front, which will attach with latches. It will be a frame and panel affair.
I will post some more pics once it is finished.

now back to the thread.

Brad Olson
11-15-2004, 8:57 AM
I made the mistake of buying a new stanley LA Block plane when I was starting out and I can affirm that Wood mag's review is reasonable. I think the plane was something like $40 on sale and I thought it couldn't be that bad, but it is. The blade doesn't seat very well leading to a lot of chatter on difficult grain. It has taken way to much fiddling to get this plane working and it still isn't as good as a LV or LN.

If you are looking for an new inexpensive LA blck plane the only thing I would consider is if you can find a Record 60 1/2. I picked one of these up on close out and although it isn't as good as LV or LN, it didn't take much to get it to that level. I mainly use this plane for trips to the lumber yard (looking for figured wood) so I didn't want and expensive plane that may get dropped in my quest for lumber. I have also picked it up for various tasks in the shop and after a little fiddling with the Record it can take some really nice shavings of endgrain. Too bad though that these planes aren't made anymore and are now difficult to find.

If you can't find a Record 60 1/2, the antique stanley are excellent users and if in good enough condition will be on par with LV or LN.

Scott Banbury
11-15-2004, 10:17 AM
My first-to-use LA block plane is an old adjustable throat Miller falls that I got on Ebay for 12 bucks. It took a litle tuning to get it perfect, but now it is.

If I'm cleaning up the edge of plywood or cleaning a spot on rough sawn lumber to check its color, I use a non-adjustable LA Miller Falls that I also Ebayed. I got it for $15 and it came in it's original box with stickers still attached.

I also have a new Stanley that a customer gave me after not being able to use it himself. It took at least 4 hours to get it working OK and that's it. It hangs out in my carpenters apron for those rare opportunities I get to go help a friend frame.

George Tokarev
11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
I fettled my 60 1/2 for a few hours, and it is the one I reach for to adjust most everything that needs a bit taken from here or there. Mostly it was just cleaning up burrs left from milling on the throat, and a good level on the blade bed.

I bought my son the Lee Valley - was a blade touchup and that's all, and a dream to use. Love the finger spots, the lateral adjustment limits, and the BIG knurled knob. He gets a smoother this Christmas.

Now let me tell you how much I like my LN rabbet block, even used simply as a block plane!

Ed Falis
11-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I fettled my 60 1/2 for a few hours, and it is the one I reach for to adjust most everything that needs a bit taken from here or there. Mostly it was just cleaning up burrs left from milling on the throat, and a good level on the blade bed.

I bought my son the Lee Valley - was a blade touchup and that's all, and a dream to use. Love the finger spots, the lateral adjustment limits, and the BIG knurled knob. He gets a smoother this Christmas.

Now let me tell you how much I like my LN rabbet block, even used simply as a block plane!

George, if you're getting him the LV LA Smoother, be sure to get both the low and high angle blades.

- Ed

Christopher Pine
11-15-2004, 4:28 PM
Great comments.. no doubt the lie nielson and the lee valley make most excellent tools. I have heard nothing from anyone on the "Anant" from rlarson.com... I have never heard of this company?
Anyone have a used lv or ln one they just can't stand and want to part with for $40 or so? :)
Chris

George Tokarev
11-15-2004, 5:42 PM
George, if you're getting him the LV LA Smoother, be sure to get both the low and high angle blades.

- Ed
Y'know, I didn't even consider the low-angle. Weird, because I do own the LN low, and have found it to be quite versatile. It's only his second plane, and I like my smoothers, so I figured it would be a good choice. Second iron is backbevel for simulated York pitch. I'm going to make him promise to get the reaction of the first German over in Bamberg who sees him with what will certainly look like a screwball design on camera.