PDA

View Full Version : Setting Kitchen Cabinets

steven sherman
04-18-2010, 9:30 AM
I am attempting to install base cabinets on a kitchen remodel. Under normal circumstances you would build a base, level the base and install the cabinets. I am using leg levelers and furniture feet for the base of the cabinets. There will be a toekick behind the feet attached to the leg levelers. The run of the cabinets is 100”. The cabinets are dishwasher, sink base and set of drawers. The floor is high at the dishwasher end and low near the set of drawers. The slope is approx + - .4 degrees, I need to have minimum clearance at the dishwasher cabinet to install the dishwasher, so I can’t lower that cabinet. The height is 35.25” +. To be level, the set of drawers would be 36”+ off the floor. The feet at the bottom of the drawer cabinet are off the floor. How should I set the cabinets? I can raise the drawer cabinet, turn new legs, but I am concerned about leg proportions and the countertop height? Enclosed are a couple to pics. Thanks for your help

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-18-2010, 9:38 AM
It's off 3/4" in 8ft? I think the proper way would be to make new feet, but another option is to install the cabinets running downhill, but maybe split the difference and have them run off 3/8", so you can still maybe use the feet? But if the 3/8" is noticeable, then make the new feet.

steven sherman
04-18-2010, 9:55 AM
Gary

The difference is about a little over 5/8" over 8 1/2 feet. I was going to split the difference and set the cabinets slightly off level. You can't notice the feet with 5/16 difference due to the angle. I would shim it 1/8 off the floor and have a 3/16" insert at the top of the foot.

Thanks

Steve

Phil Thien
04-18-2010, 10:27 AM
If the tenons on the end of the feet are long enough, I'd just pull them tight to the floor, and then add a spacer between the top of the foot and the cabinet.

I'd make the spacers with a hole saw, and I'd cut a slot in the spacer so it can be slid in (with the slot towards the wall so you can't see it). I'd paint the spacers black.

I'd do this because I don't think you'd ever notice the spacers from a standing or sitting position, and it would be a lot easier than turning new feet and then finishing them.

Jamie Buxton
04-18-2010, 10:31 AM
I'd let it run off-level, without fussing around with the legs. The only way you'd perceive that small angle is with doors. They'll try to slam open or slam closed if their hinges are on a vertical line. Fortunately, you don't have any doors on this run of cabinets.

Joe Chritz
04-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Phils idea.

I am nearly always opposed to installing anything out of plumb or level. A space would be hidden easily. A spacer from the same wood will likely look like it is supposed to be there.

Furniture feet casework isn't very "remodel" friendly at times.

Joe

David DeCristoforo
04-18-2010, 1:34 PM
First of all, the DW opening has to be the starting point. You need to determine the minimum height you can leave and still get the DW in and out. From that point, you need to set the cabinets level. I would not have an issue with putting a spacer between the bun feet and the posts. Maybe a small bead that would blend in with the foot. It would probably be unnoticeable.

steven sherman
04-18-2010, 3:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I set the DW at the min height +1/8 and then set the cabinets at .2 degrees off level. I didn't want the height of the countertop to change too much. I tried some of the drawers and they worked fine. I took a little off the legs on th DW cabinet and will add spacers to the top of the legs on the drawer bank. I had to to some drywall repair, so it will take a little bit of time to put in the DW cabinet. I will post pics after it is complete. Thanks for your help. I'm sure I will have other issues as the build continues.