PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw 90 degree stop problem...

Michael Dunn
04-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Hey guys,

I have the Delta TS300 saw and have had some issues getting the bevel adjustment to get back to 90 degrees. With this saw there is an Acme threaded lead screw rotated by the hand crank on the side of the saw. around the threads on the lead screw is a 'T' shaped device that fits through the trunnion. This 'T' shaped nut is held in place with an 'O' ring. Well, one day the 'T' shaped nut popped out. I have since replaced the 'O' ring with a retainer ring which I think should have been in the original design. I think I will also put on a couple 'O' rings and then the retainer ring.

Anyway, after I installed the retaining ring I set out to reset the 45 & 90 degree stops. So I adjusted the angle as I normally would... I got it stop on at 90 deg, set the stop collar. Turned a few cranks and brought it back to 90 and for some reason it will not return back to 90. Befor the 'O' ring popped off it was always pretty acurate about returning back to 90. I haven't even checked the accuracy of the 45 deg stop yet. I got stuck on this for an hour or so.

Any tips on what could be going on? Am I missing something, I checked the manual and it appears that I am doing everything right. It's almost like the entire trunnion is not returning back to 90 even the lead screw is. I think I'll check the trunnion fasteners.

I know this is a budget saw, but right now it is all I have, and even all I need. As much as I would love to pick up a new saw, it is not gonna happen. Not now anyway.

Thanx,

shotgunn

Fred Belknap
04-18-2010, 8:07 AM
I'm not familiar with that saw but I like to set the stops on my Grizzly past the 45/90° so the blade will go past them. I use a Wikey gauge to set the tilt but a good square will work. Sawdust will get in the way and cause the stops to be off sometimes.

Fred

glenn bradley
04-18-2010, 9:37 AM
No real help on your issue but, I think you will find that most folks set thier stops a bit past. They are unreliable and I don't use them for actual settings. If you can get the blade to go past 90* so you can set it accuratly through other means, I would call it good.

george wilson
04-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I never rely upon the stops. Just use a square.

Tony Bilello
04-18-2010, 10:26 AM
I totally agree with all of the above.

Michael Dunn
04-18-2010, 1:13 PM
Cool, good tips, good to know. Except, when my wheel won't crank anymore, it is still not at 90. My trunnions may be a bit out of whack.

Does that sound like a possibility?

shotgunn

Charlie Kocourek
04-18-2010, 1:52 PM
HI Michael, This might be kind of a longshot, but I had a similar problem once and in my case the threads were gummed up with sawdust.