PDA

View Full Version : A little shop time today

David E Keller
04-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Here are a few pens turned today. The two cigar pens are bound for Michigan as a gift to the guy who sent me the aspen burl(One of my all-time favorites) and the curly red oak. The two rollerballs are acrylics using a relatively new kit.

From top to bottom:

Vail rollerball with Merlin's Magic blank
Vail rollerball with Bronze Fire blank
Two tone cigar in Aspen Burl
Two tone cigar in Curly Red Oak

Thanks for looking. Comments, questions, and criticism always welcome!

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Really nice pens David. I really like the color of the middle two.

dan carter
04-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Very nice work. The Aspen Burl in quite nice.

Matt Ranum
04-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I like the two-toned cigar kit, a nice look along with the burls. That Aspen really is sharp. Were the others a couple from Exotic blanks? Thought I recognized the names.

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Very nice work on all the pens David! Really like the Aspen burl - wonderful color!

Debbie Fett
04-18-2010, 12:28 AM
David, the Aspen Burl is beautiful!!

John Keeton
04-18-2010, 6:09 AM
All very nice, but the Aspen really is the showpiece! I like the bronze fire blank, too. Is that an acrylic blank? I apologize, but I am just not familiar with these various pen materials.

Jeff Nicol
04-18-2010, 7:11 AM
David, I love all the color combos and the woods you used in these pens! Very rich and elegant! I have a drawer full of pen kits and need to get some done for a show I have in 2 weeks, I better get busy finishing some of the stuff sitting around my shop taking up space!

Thanks for posting them,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
04-18-2010, 7:28 AM
All are nice but the Aspen burl caught my eye as well!

David E Keller
04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks to everyone who has commented.

I like the two-toned cigar kit, a nice look along with the burls. That Aspen really is sharp. Were the others a couple from Exotic blanks? Thought I recognized the names.

Thanks Matt. The Bronze Fire and Merlin's Magic are both from Exotics. They have great service, and there's always a little 'yippee' in the box as a nice surprise.

All very nice, but the Aspen really is the showpiece! I like the bronze fire blank, too. Is that an acrylic blank? I apologize, but I am just not familiar with these various pen materials.

John, no apologies necessary. The top two in the photo are both acrylics(poly resin). The photos don't do this material justice... It absolutely glows. Even if you don't make pens(yet:D), you might want to use an acrylic blank for a finial on one of your fabulous lidded forms.

Matt Ranum
04-18-2010, 12:52 PM
John if you ever get the bug to try an acrylic or poly resin finial check these guys out. Its where David got these and I got some from before, they make some incredible blanks.

http://www.exoticblanks.com/

gary Zimmel
04-18-2010, 2:55 PM
Great set of pens David.
And one more vote for that aspen burl....

Sean Hughto
04-18-2010, 9:26 PM
I'll take that aspen! Nice work!