PDA

View Full Version : Which Finish to spray

Greg Labacz
04-17-2010, 8:13 PM
I want to get your opinion on which finish to put on a walnut treasure box. I want to go with a waterborne finish like the Target Em6000 ,Em9000 or General Finishes Euro-Var.

Scott Holmes
04-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Both of the Taget products are top notch. Never used the General so I don't have an option on it..

Jim Becker
04-18-2010, 8:30 PM
I happen to use the EM6000 pretty much exclusively, but there are a number of good water borne finishes available these days from the top manufacturers.

Tony Bilello
04-18-2010, 8:48 PM
Do you buy from the manufacturer in NJ or are there distributors?

Joe Chritz
04-18-2010, 11:08 PM
There are some distributors but I have always ordered directly from the target coatings webpage directly.

I have used a fair amount of the Target USL (which is EM6000 now) and it is very good stuff and very forgiving for spraying.

Pretty much any of the offerings from a reputable manufacturer will do a fantastic job.

Joe

Greg Labacz
04-19-2010, 5:17 PM
thanks for all your responses. I ordered the em6000 today. I can't wait till i get it and spray my walnut treasure box.:D:D

Joe Shinall
04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Glad this thread's already started. The EM6000, is it a pretty good finish for pretty much anything? I just bought a HVLP sprayer and would like to get into spray finishing and I have a list of projects from a bed, dresser, 2 night stands, and a bookcase. All different woods. If this isn't, then is there just a good finish/protectant to spray for anything?

I have heard not to spray poly because the over spray will never dry.

Joe Chritz
04-20-2010, 4:30 AM
I haven't used the EM6000 but I have used a lot of the USL (the precursor to EM6000) and it is good stuff for just about anything except very high use surfaces.

A kitchen table top I may opt for something like the conversion varnish for a little more durability but i have a couple desks finished in USL and as of now they are still going strong.

The only downside I have ever seen to waterbase is that sometimes it looks a bit lifeless. That is why I nearly always use a sealcoat of shellac. I guess it "warms" to wood some. This is less noticeable on some woods than others.

Target has an finish that is supposed to give all the benefits of oil with a water clean up. It is now called EM2000.

USL and now EM6000 is my go to finish for almost everything I am going to spray. There are several other great options available but I have been happy with Target so far and don't have much reason to change.

Joe