PDA

View Full Version : Log end treatment

Randy Henry
04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I am getting ready to take a load of walnut logs to a sawmill for rough cutting. Just wondering if anyone seals the ends before they are cut, or do it after they are cut. Also, what is the best product to use on the ends. I have seen logs cut with and without the sealing, and I prefer to seal the ends, to keep worms and bugs out. If I was going to use the lumber up immediately, I would not bother, but I have over a 1000 bf., and it will take me a few years (or more) to go through it, then when I'm done with it, another load will go to the mill. I will be storing it all, stickered, in a covered, dry barn.

Thanks.

Dennis Ford
04-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Anchor-Seal would be my choice and it should be easier to seal the log end than to seal all the boards.

Howard Acheson
04-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Logs should be end sealed with a wax-type sealent as soon as they are cut into logs. The longer you wait the more the logs can be damaged. The damage occurs during the first 4-5 days.

The best sealent is AnchorSeal. It's a water emulsified paraffin wax and is the most effective preventor of moisture tranmission.

Paint, particularly latex house paint is a poor choice. Both interior and exterior latex paints are designed to allow moisture to penetrate. This is so the paint does not peel and bubble as moist warm air forms condensation.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-17-2010, 2:13 PM
Logs should be sealed with a wax emulsion (Anchorseal) as soon as possible after felling the tree. If the tree has been setting for any length of time without being sealed, depending on humidity and temperature, sealing will probably have minimal benefit.

Cody Colston
04-17-2010, 2:20 PM
Another vote for Anchorseal.

Also, like Richard said, the logs should be sealed immediately after cutting to prevent end checking. If the log ends have already started to check, cut off a few inches to sound wood and then seal asap.

Many sawmills will have Anchorseal on hand so you might check with your mill before purchasing it. I get mine through a local turning club that orders it in 55 gal. drums.

Randy Henry
04-17-2010, 2:25 PM
Any of you guys have a source for the Anchorseal? I have a small can of it, but I will need alot more. The local lumberyard has some in the small cans, but it is steep. Didn't know if there was a better source.

Thanks.

Henry Ambrose
04-17-2010, 7:33 PM
U C Coatings is the manufacturer of Anchorseal. They have an on-line store. A five gallon bucket is about $75 shipped to the eastern U.S.

And if at all possible seal the logs as soon as you cut the tree. The sooner the better. This won't keep bugs out (as asked by OP) but it does slow the drying at the end grain and will prevent most if not all cracks from forming.

Frank Drew
04-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Craft USA (used to be Craft Supply) sells a similar if not identical product they call Green Wood Sealer; costs about the same, around $15/gallon, I think.

Randy, as Henry notes, the sealer won't prevent bugs from getting to your wood but it does slow down the moisture loss through the end grain, thus helping to prevent or at least minimize end grain checking and cracking.