PDA

View Full Version : An OK Central Machinery (HF) Purchase

Greg Crawford
04-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I have gotten clamps, air hose fittings, wrenches, etc. from Harbor Freight, and have a friend with one of their sliding miter saws. The miter saw isn't anything I would ever buy after using it a little, and I've always been very hesitant about buying anything with a motor or gas engine. Most of what I've seen in that area is pretty lame.

Well, each year when I trim my bushes and trees, I wind up with a pile of limbs that have to be taken care of, usually bundled and put out for trash pickup. This year, I wanted to borrow a chipper/shredder so I could have mulch instead of trash, but never could hook up with my friend. I looked at buying, but a Troy Bilt (MTD I think is the same company now) just seemed like too much $$ for a once a year project. I couldn't find any decent deals on used machines, so I decided I'd take a chance on the HF 5.5 HP model. It's listed for $340 on the web, but the store sticker said $450. I also found a 20% off coupon that they said they would honor from the price at the register. As it turned out, the actual store price was the same as the internet price, so I got the machine for about $270, less than half a new Troy Bilt, plus, the engine itself has a 2 year warranty.

So far, I've put about 5 hours on the machine. I've never used any other chipper/shredder, so I can't compare it to anything else, but it started, ran well and chipped and shredded. It's made of fairly heavy metal, not real flimsy like I thought it would be. It has solid rubber tires instead of the larger, inflatable tires on the more expensive units, so it's a bit harder to wheel around. One thing I do like is that the wheels are held on the axles with cotter pins instead of the hammer-on caps that always manage to fall off and get lost. I did have to stop the thing several times and clear clogs in the chute from small, pliable twigs and vines that didn't "self feed".

I don't know if anyone else is holding off purchasing something like this from HF, but the gas engine seems to work well (so far), and for the light work I have for it, I think it will do just fine. It may only last half as long a a TB, but it was half the price. At 5 hours a year, it may last decades.

I hope someone finds this helpful and not just a waste of time. After all, anything that runs on gasoline, makes a lot of noise and destroys everything that goes into it can't be all bad:D

Brian Elfert
04-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Too late for you, but I just rent a towable larger chipper after I let the branches accumulate for a year or two. Some of my branches would choke a smaller chipper.

Home depot rents these at some locations. The Home Depot rental dept is open the same hours as the store so you can rent something for the evening and not have to pay for overnight rental like a regular rental palce.

Jim Terrill
04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Too late for you, but I just rent a towable larger chipper after I let the branches accumulate for a year or two. Some of my branches would choke a smaller chipper.

Home depot rents these at some locations. The Home Depot rental dept is open the same hours as the store so you can rent something for the evening and not have to pay for overnight rental like a regular rental palce.

That works if your local HD actually has working tools in stock, but whenever I have looked to rent in the past, whatever I wanted was broken with no idea of when it would be repaired. Things like teeth on a stump grinder- they didn't have any replacement ones in stock and had no clue when they would be getting any. YMMV, but nationsrent/sunbelt rentals has been much more reliable for me.

glenn bradley
04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
My dad is still running a small hydraulic log splitter for his wood stove logs. The thing ain't very refined but, it just keeps running.

Brian Elfert
04-18-2010, 4:37 PM
I guess I haven't had any problems with the rental tools at the Home Depots around me. The stuff generally looks almost brand new.

I did have a sod cutter that broke at the end of the job. Home Depot didn't charge for that rental. I have had more stuff break from other places.

Greg Crawford
04-18-2010, 6:51 PM
I checked rentals, and the only thing nearby was a huge unit for over $100 a day. I didn't see much sense in spending over 1/3 the price of something I could just own. I also wanted something portable that would go to the pile I had already hauled once, instead of hauling the pile out to the driveway.