PDA

View Full Version : How Shoe laces go through the last pair of eyes

Stephen Tashiro
04-17-2010, 11:30 AM
When I buy a pair of shoes with the laces on them, they are often laced so that when the lace goes through the last eyes (the pair nearest my ankle) it comes out under the flap of the shoe and goes over the tongue. When i lace shoes myself, I lace them so the lace comes out over the top of the flap of the shoes and then goes over the tongue.

I've never understood if there is any significance to lacing shoes one way or the other. Is one way better for my foot or the shoe? Is one way some kind of fashion statement? Could it be misinterpreted as a social signal? "I am a freemason" or something like that?

Mitchell Andrus
04-17-2010, 12:01 PM
You know there has to be a website....

33 ways to tie your stupid shoes:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Of course, they have an iphone app too.

Steve knight
04-17-2010, 12:26 PM
you beat me to the iphone app part. bummer.

Stephen Tashiro
04-17-2010, 1:24 PM
That's a nice link. Now I can be "straight laced" in a variety of ways. However, do those patterns intend to show the unique lacing that can be done on the top two eyes? Or are they merely trying to show that you follow the pattern "etc." up the shoe?

I don't have an iphone. It can tie your shoe? That's pretty impressive.

Rick Moyer
04-17-2010, 4:10 PM
My life may not be real exciting, but I now feel better about myself knowing that I don't host a websight about tying shoelaces! WOW, I watched "40 year old virgin" again last night and this shoelace guy makes Steve Caresh' character seem :cool: by comparison.

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2010, 5:22 PM
And I thought I was obsessive because my shoes have to be identically laced. Now I find out about all these different lace patterns. If y'all need me I'll be over here in the corner lacing my shoes.

Jason Roehl
04-17-2010, 6:28 PM
Mine have to be laced symmetrically--that is, they are laced as mirror images of each other, usually outer lace over inner lace. That, and the ends of the laces have to come out to the same length.

Just one of my OCD tendencies that I have not let slide, nor am I likely to.

Tom Winship
04-17-2010, 7:43 PM
When I was in high school playing basketball, a pair of white Converse All-Stars with straight laces was the cats meow. Hadn't thought of that until I looked at the 33 ways......... Am I dating myself?

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2010, 8:31 PM
When I was in high school playing basketball, a pair of white Converse All-Stars with straight laces was the cats meow. Hadn't thought of that until I looked at the 33 ways......... Am I dating myself?

I don't think you dated yourself with the Converse All-Stars, but the Cat's Meow might have done it . . . :D Had you said Cat's Pajamas that would be a whole different subject.

Stephen Tashiro
04-17-2010, 8:39 PM
Hey!:
No one who told about their shoe lacing habits has yet revealed how they lace through the last pair of eyes. Which is it? -end of lace comes out the top of the eye or end of lace comes out the bottom of the eye? Look at your shoes. Confess!

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2010, 8:49 PM
Hey!:
No one who told about their shoe lacing habits has yet revealed how they lace through the last pair of eyes. Which is it? -end of lace comes out the top of the eye or end of lace comes out the bottom of the eye? Look at your shoes. Confess!

Lace comes out of the top of the eye. Left shoe outer lace crosses to the right. Right shoe outer lace crosses to the left.

Jack Wilson
04-17-2010, 8:53 PM
Hey!:

For me, that's the problem, I have to go look. I don't know which way my laces go, (and I don't care). I know I have some real problems, but hope this doesn't turn out to be another one of them.:)

GOOD NEWS!!! My therapist says I can go back out into public alone again soon!:eek:

Jim Rimmer
04-17-2010, 9:15 PM
I wear loafers. :rolleyes:

Bill Cunningham
04-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Laces!!! The older you get, the more you grunt, groan, and grimace just to bend over! If it wasn't for velcro, a lot of us old farts wouldn't even be wearing shoes.:D

Charles Bishop
04-21-2010, 6:09 AM
You guys (and gals) are funny. :p I'm not for sure how they end up in the top holes, but I still use the lacing method drilled into us in basic training 50 years ago, left over right. How's that for dating ones self.:eek:

Roger Newby
04-21-2010, 6:39 AM
I have Velcro!!:p:D

Rod Sheridan
04-21-2010, 8:36 AM
I use the straight bar lace method, with the lace end coming out of the top of the eyelet.

Regards, Rod.

Ben Hatcher
04-21-2010, 9:54 AM
When you lace so that the lace exits the eye toward the inside of the shoe you lock in that lace almost as if you were to put a knot in it. The advantage of doing the last one from outside to inside is that you don't lose any of the tension you applied when you snugged up the lace while you tie your knot.

This can also be used to divide sections in a shoe or boot. For example, when I tie my hockey skates I prefer the foot section to be a little looser than the ankle. So, I lace the foot part inside to out. Then, at the transition to the ankle portion, I do one lace from the outside in. This separates the bottom portion and allows it to stay fairly loose while I crank down on the ankle section. I do the rest, including the last one from inside to out because that allows the force to be distributed among all of the eyes equally.

Jim Mattheiss
04-21-2010, 7:45 PM
High top Con's :D

I bought a pair of them a few years ago. I remember them being more comfortable growing up and they weren't that durable.

They were the sneaker to wear if you played basketball when I was growing up. I don't think I saw anyone playing in anything else till the end of high school when Nike entered the scene. By then I was in the stands - I had more enthusiasm than skill on the BB court.

Growing up colored converse were the rage. Purple sneakers with orange or yellow laces were my choice at one point.

Cheers

Jim

paul cottingham
04-21-2010, 8:00 PM
Sandals are proof that God exists, and that He loves me. there are only so many ways I can put them on!