PDA

View Full Version : J/P Choices - Hammer A3 vs Laguna Platinum 16

David Omatick
04-17-2010, 9:45 AM
I have been leaning to purchase the Hammer A3 J/P combo machine with all of the positive reviews and the recent sales. I recently was on the Laguna site (bandsaw snooping) and I see they are having a special this month on their 16" Platinum combo machine. It is the straight knive model and includes mortiser. It is priced in line with the 12" Hammer. I have not seen a lot of comments on the Laguna combo machines. Seems like Grizzly, Jet and Hammer, or moving up the food chain the Felder and MiniMax.

Is this a good deal? This is at the upper end of my budget. Sometimes kick myself for not picking up the Jet at the last big sale a few months ago. (I definately prefer the Euro guard style,)

Thanks,

David

Jamie Buxton
04-17-2010, 10:39 AM
My objective in buying tools is to get what works best for me -- more than getting the best possible deal.

Here's my take on jointer widths... I want a jointer that is at least as wide as the boards I commonly work with. 6" is too narrow. 8" is better, but still not enough. 10" is good. 12" is a bit more than necessary, but still good. 16" is overkill. There's no reason for me to have that width. It eats floor space in the shop, and costs more money to buy and sharpen the blades. If I were going to buy Laguna, I'd look most carefully at their 12" machines.

Rod Sheridan
04-17-2010, 8:15 PM
Hi, I just went through the same decision making process and settled on the Hammer A3-31, my comments are as follows;

Laguna Platinum Series

-jointer fence mount protudes out the back of the machine, the machine would have to be set about 12" out from the wall to use the jointer

- fit and finish weren't what I was expecting, turns out the Platinum edition is Chinese.

- the jointer tables flip towards the operator position, seemed to be in the way in my opinion

Those are my comments in a 2008 thread here on the forum.

I had gone to the show in Toronto, and had the ability to compare the Hammer/Felder, MiniMax and Laguna jointer/planer.

I bought the A3-31 and haven't regretted it.......Rod.

David Omatick
04-18-2010, 4:09 PM
Rod thanks for the comments.

Sounds like the Hammer is still my fisrt option.

Jim Becker
04-18-2010, 8:56 PM
I'd definitely recommend the Hammer in this situation.

Scot Ferraro
04-18-2010, 9:37 PM
Another recommendation for the Hammer -- I have had mine for a couple of years and it is one awesome machine. In addition to Jamie's and Rod's comments, the quick change knives are great. The tables are dead flat and the ribbing is very beefy (to keep the tables flat). Overall I think that the A331 is a great value.

Scot

Mike Wilkins
04-19-2010, 9:18 AM
I currently have a 12" J/P machine like the Platinum machines that was sold by another dealer. An OK machine in my opinion; given the choices you listed, I would go with the Hammer if I had it to do over again.