PDA

View Full Version : virtual sample

tony mazzone
04-17-2010, 9:42 AM
I want to make virtual samples of products like picture frames and stainless items to post on a website. I take a picture of the product, import it into coreldraw x3 and add text and graphics. It looks like it was engraved on the product. My problem is how to save it and open it in photopaint without having the graphics pixelate. I need to save it I believe as a jpeg for the website.
Thanks,
Tony

Niklas Bjornestal
04-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I want to make virtual samples of products like picture frames and stainless items to post on a website. I take a picture of the product, import it into coreldraw x3 and add text and graphics. It looks like it was engraved on the product. My problem is how to save it and open it in photopaint without having the graphics pixelate. I need to save it I believe as a jpeg for the website.
Thanks,
Tony
As i see it it can be because of 2 things.
1. To low resolution, use higher dpi
2. To high compression in jpg

To save, just export the text/graphics and use a high enough dpi. And dont save as jpg, use png. PNG works well on the webb and it compresses the images without removing any information.

Doug Griffith
04-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Another thing to remember is to save the cropped jpeg in the pixel dimensions dictated by the website layout (ie 72ppi x 400w x 400t). Jpeg is a lossy compression format so you don't want to raster a vector to jpeg and then resize and save as a jpeg again. It will get pixelated and the compression artifacts introduced by jpeg compression will increase.

I agree that png is a good way to go these days. Use 8-bit png for the web.

tony mazzone
04-18-2010, 7:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. Can you give me the steps to save as png file. I don't see the option in either coreldraw or photopaint.
Thanks,
Tony

Mike Null
04-18-2010, 8:24 AM
In Draw you must export the file as a png. CorelDraw (cdr) files cannot be saved to png or other bitmaps.

In PhotoPaint you can save the file as a PNG by selecting it from the drop down menu. (it defaults to a cpt file)

There is no need to put your photo in CorelDraw; you can modify it in PP and add text there as well.

Martin Boekers
04-18-2010, 4:10 PM
You can export from Corel to a PDF quickly if you are sending this to a client for approval.

Corel, File dropdown then publish to PDF. Most everyone can open a PDF file an for the most part you can import (including formatting) into Draw or Illustrator.

I know you were looking for lower res for web pages, but I thought this may also help in the future.

Marty