PDA

View Full Version : Took what I could get - my wood gloat.

Brian Effinger
04-16-2010, 9:52 PM
Well, it isn't anywhere near the awesomeness of George's gloat, but I got some wood today too. It was two loads of cottonwood from a pretty big tree - I'm thinking at least 4' in diameter at the base. There was a ton of wood there, and I estimate that I only took about a quarter of it. Best part - it was free. :D I found it listed on craigslist.

I took as many of the crotch pieces as I could, and even the straight pieces appear to have curly figure to them. :) Some of those curly pieces are from the main trunk and are monster sized. I struggled getting them onto a cart and out to the truck. I think the largest pieces weigh more than 150 pounds, and maybe even as much as 200.

The one downside to all of this (other than the lack of turning time lately), is that on the second load, I dented the inside of the tailgate a bit. :mad: The lever contraption I used to get them up into the bed is a little bit too tall, so they fell off of it onto the gate. Now the handle stick out on the outside. I'll have to pull it off and see if I can pound the sheet metal back into shape. At least I didn't completely compress my leaf springs, although it was close.

I plan on cutting some of it up this weekend if the weather is nice, or at least not raining. I'll probably end up taking a significant portion of it to my two club meetings in a few weeks.

And since I know the pics rule...

David E Keller
04-16-2010, 9:57 PM
That's a pretty nice gloat. Cottonwood can be beautiful. Congrats

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 9:58 PM
Brian, that is going to make some awesome blanks!! Seems like the crotches of the cottonwood have some great feathering, and you are fortunate to have figuring in most of it, as well.

I would suggest a Dodge truck, though!!:D:D;) Speaking of feathers, that should ruffle a few!

George Guadiane
04-16-2010, 10:02 PM
GREAT Gloat Brian, I didn't mean to start a contest.
Cottonwood has shown up here as some really nice tuned goods on this site.
Have fun with it (and you'r right, free IS a great price).

Brian Effinger
04-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I would suggest a Dodge truck, though!!:D:D;) Speaking of feathers, that should ruffle a few!

Ooooo... You know I used to like you, before that one! :p :D :p :D

Actually, I think a larger truck may be in the cards next year, after the wife's car is payed off. This one is 8 years old, dirty and now dented. :D Although it's only got 68,000 on it.

And John, it will be a Chevy! :D

alex carey
04-16-2010, 10:11 PM
it may not be AS good as George's but its pretty close.

Baxter Smith
04-16-2010, 10:13 PM
That is more than a few nice turnings! Great haul! Many more like that and you will need a bigger truck!

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Congrats on a great haul Brian.

Richard Madison
04-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Nice load Brian! Makes my back hurt just looking at the pictures.

charlie knighton
04-17-2010, 8:31 AM
congratulations on your free wood

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Brian - Congrats on all the wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Steve Kubien
04-17-2010, 1:02 PM
Nice haul. Do not be afraid to try colouring some of it. Cottonwood can be really stunning, especially if there is some curl/figure) to it.

Roland Martin
04-17-2010, 1:23 PM
Nice load of wood, anzious to see what it looks like and what you'll turn.