PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat Part 2

George Guadiane
04-16-2010, 7:49 PM
Not sure what happened, but I didn't get a shot of the truck all loaded up.
As it turns out, we only managed to get about half of it into the truck, and that was after cutting off the "waste."
Speaking of waist, I'm going on a DIET. I have not liked the way I feel for some time, but looking at those pictures has inspired me... GOTTA lighten up!

HOWEVER, I do have 6 or 8 BIG blanks to core for bowls. Along with that I have LOTS of vase/hollow form blanks and enough stunning bottle stopper and pen blanks to keep anyone busy forever.
I'll go back for the rest of the oak burl next week, once I recover from a day of cutting and hauling big blocks of heavy wood.
OH, the highlighted area in the end view is an indication of how deep the burl goes on this piece.

Steve Vaughan
04-16-2010, 8:21 PM
Well George, apparently on this board you gotta have pics of the truck loaded, otherwise, you're just standing by a great big billet and had somebody take your picture :D! But, I for one am gonna believe what I see right there, and that's a heck of a piece of wood ya got...you're gonna stay busy forever and then some! Great gloat and I guess in a few months we'll begin to see a few finished pieces!

Baxter Smith
04-16-2010, 8:25 PM
If I ever find a burl like that I would need a whole lot bigger chainsaw! Great picture!

Jon Lanier
04-16-2010, 8:27 PM
Envy, Envy, covet, covet, Oh my goodness how much I want it.!

Nice haul!

charlie knighton
04-16-2010, 8:30 PM
great, just how big was that elm tree, George???????

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 8:44 PM
Just one thing wrong with the pics, George - where is the big grin????:D

Congrats, and that is going to be some awesome wood!

Mike McAfee
04-16-2010, 8:55 PM
I'm sure the smile is on the inside John, it's just hard to show while covering up the agony a herniated disc! :eek:

SWEET haul George!

MMc

alex carey
04-16-2010, 9:20 PM
holy moley those are some big burls! nice haul.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2010, 9:30 PM
Congrats George. That is one sweet haul.

David E Keller
04-16-2010, 9:50 PM
envious!!!!

Brian Effinger
04-16-2010, 10:01 PM

Probably too tired to be grinnin'. :)

Seriously awesome wood score, George. I'd wait until after you turned these before the diet. You'll need your turning muscle! :p :D

Leo Van Der Loo
04-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow that's some ugly looking Oak on the outside, that's got to look good on the inside for a turner for sure.
That is a rare find George, and it is going to cost you some blood sweat and hopefully many smiles to get all what's inside there, yes that calls for a "you suck" :) :D

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Excellent gloat George! Really looking forward to seeing what you turn out of this!

Nice saw!

James Roberts
04-17-2010, 4:41 PM
Sweet gloat George. Should produce some amazing things out of that!

Don Orr
04-17-2010, 5:52 PM
Good thing you got that big new saw:eek::D

Looking forward to the results.

Chris Stolicky
04-17-2010, 8:16 PM
Wow. I knew you said it was big, but that is a lot of wood! :eek: You should have said that you needed help!

George Guadiane
04-17-2010, 9:43 PM
Well George, apparently on this board you gotta have pics of the truck loaded, otherwise, you're just standing by a great big billet and had somebody take your picture :D! But, I for one am gonna believe what I see right there, and that's a heck of a piece of wood ya got...you're gonna stay busy forever and then some! Great gloat and I guess in a few months we'll begin to see a few finished pieces!

Thanks for the trust Steve, I think I'm worth it... I DID take one of the smaller cutoff pieces out of the pile today and turn it... That will be my next post.

great, just how big was that elm tree, George???????

I didn't think to take a picture of the elm burl LOG... It was about 10 feet long by 12(ish) on the narrow end and 18(ish) on the big end. In the middle was a guy wire. I made the mistake of thinking it was the only one... Well, there were two and the second one cost me a lot of time, but I got a really nice blank out of the section, anyway.

Congrats, and that is going to be some awesome wood!

Wrong day! I had the really big grin on the day I DISCOVERED the burl... That face is the one I get when I actually have to do the work. Thankfully, my stepson was there to help me with both pieces or it would have taken me 5 or 6 days to do the same work.

Probably too tired to be grinnin'. :)

Seriously awesome wood score, George. I'd wait until after you turned these before the diet. You'll need your turning muscle! :p :D

I'm not sure, but I think Bill Grumbine has a patent on that turning muscle thing. I'll strap on a sand bag if I need ballast.

Wow that's some ugly looking Oak on the outside, that's got to look good on the inside for a turner for sure.
That is a rare find George, and it is going to cost you some blood sweat and hopefully many smiles to get all what's inside there, yes that calls for a "you suck" :) :D

LEO! You make my heart swell with pride! "You SUCK" is really high praise. Thanks.

Good thing you got that big new saw:eek::D

Looking forward to the results.

You are SO RIGHT, that saw made the job so much easier.
Posting the first piece in a minute.

Wow. I knew you said it was big, but that is a lot of wood! :eek: You should have said that you needed help!

Brandon was there to help me, but there is plenty already AnchorSealed and about half again as much still sitting there.

Joshua Dinerstein
04-18-2010, 1:27 AM
That is totally awesome! Keep up the good work! Wow. I need a chainsaw like that! ;)

Joshua