PDA

View Full Version : 34706 (better hf lathe) spin it by hand?

cody michael
04-16-2010, 7:16 PM
can you put a wheel? or something on the left hand side of lathe for spinning it for looking at your work etc?

Norris Randall
04-16-2010, 7:35 PM
My old Oliver has one. I added laminated plywood with leather strop to the stock wheel. Before the addition the wheel was handy as a "brake".

cody michael
04-16-2010, 7:44 PM
yeah i used an oliver like that at school and liked the handle. hiw can i add one to my lathe?

Gary Conklin
04-16-2010, 10:01 PM
You can tap through hole and use a jet hand wheel, I forget off hand the thread.

Joshua Dinerstein
04-16-2010, 11:29 PM
can you put a wheel? or something on the left hand side of lathe for spinning it for looking at your work etc?

You can buy them. I got one for about $13. You just need the one for the Jet lathe that the HF is an homage too. I can try to find a link for you if you have no luck locating it. Once I screwed it in it works just fine. It is solid so you lose the ability to directly use the knock-out rod. But I wasn't using that much as I tended to use a chuck with a steb drive in it. I have thought about drilling it out but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Joshua

Paul Atkins
04-17-2010, 11:52 AM
I didn't know lathes didn't come with them. Actually I made one for each of my lathes even buying a left handed nut and welding on a flange to bolt on a 1" bb disc. A through hole is a must. One has a bearing set in for vacuum hose.