PDA

View Full Version : Time for new drill and driver... ah the choices

Dan Karachio
04-16-2010, 7:02 PM
The old Hitachi 18 and 14.4 drills are on their last legs. Well, not the drills, but the batteries and we all know they charge (pun not intended) so much for replacement batteries, you might as well just buy a new set. Especially with the new lithium ion units out there

I see Makita, I see Bosch, I see Dewalt and I am just overwhelmed with the choices out there. I'd like to have a drill and a driver - I would use both plenty. Can anyone recommend a good set? For a home hobby guy, is 12 volts enough or 18 too much?

Robert Chapman
04-16-2010, 7:29 PM
I have the Bosch 12Volt drill and separate driver. They are both great little tools that work really well for my purposes - cabinet and furniture making.

Rich Neighbarger
04-16-2010, 7:34 PM
IMHO, get the DeWalt XRP. I had one that lasted for 10 years, the drive train was all metal, the thing was as solid as a hammer, it came with a jacobs chuck, 3 speed tranny which allowed my 12volt to drive 6" lag screws all day long (I'm sure it would have removed lug nuts if I tried). I recently replaced it, when the batteries died, with a Milwaukee M18 -- worst thing I ever did. Granted, I do more than drill holes with it. I wouldn't even think of using the M18 with a large holesaw for fear that it'd burn up.

Bruce Page
04-16-2010, 7:41 PM
Dan, unless you have your heart set on a shinny new lithium ion you should consider having your batteries rebuilt. I just had 2 DeWalt & 2 PC batteries rebuilt by MTO with upgraded cells for $150 delivered. The two drills perform better than new.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-16-2010, 7:56 PM
For me, the DeWalt would be choice #1. BUT, (and save your flames) I have the Crapsman 19.2 set. Mainly that's b/c the LOML bought that for me. Once down that road, I've continued down that lonely road. The main and only reason I would reccomend that you buy it, it you can get a LOT of different tools/accessories that use the same battery. The recip saw is very handy, you can get lights, vacuum, even a chainsaw. (Probably not a good chainsaw). It did better than I would expect in the latest cordless drill shootout. (not last) This is also assuming that not going to dive into pro level drill/driving. For the home hobbiest, I think it suits me just fine. The DeWalt would be nice, but some nice overkill.

Just another option to think about.

Oh yeah, you always know where you can get another battery. With K-mart, lots of places to get a battery.

Nancy Laird
04-16-2010, 7:58 PM
We have two of the Bosch drill-drivers, and they are awesome - small and lightweight, so they fit my hand well, but they sure do pack a punch and get the job done.

Erik Frederiksen
04-16-2010, 8:15 PM
I am in the remodeling business and have been using Makita LXT cordless tools for the past three years and have been, for the most part, happy with them.

I am also going to be in the market for a new drill soon, but will be making the switch to Festool. Yes, their drills are very expensive, but I've really liked the other Festool tools I've bought so I thought I'd try one of their drills.

Cary Falk
04-16-2010, 8:19 PM
I have the Makita 14.4 drillanddriver combo. I love it. Ifit ever goes bad, I willgo with Makita probably in a 18v. The 14.4v has done everything I have asked but you can never havetoomuch power.

Mikail Khan
04-16-2010, 8:26 PM
I bought this Makita combo about 2 years ago and I was very satisfied.

Makita LCT 300W -$262. (http://sawmillcreek.org/Makita%20LCT300W)

I was able to drive more than 200 1.5" screws with one charge. Batteries recharge in 15 minutes.

I upgraded to another makita set with the 3.0 Amp hour batteries because I got it on sale, but it is significantly heavier.

I bought the Milwaukee Li ion combo for my father for Christmas. It has worked well so far.

Milwaukee combo -$199 (http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2691-22-18-Volt-Compact-Impact/dp/B001F7BIMG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1271464615&sr=1-10)

MK

Jerome Stanek
04-16-2010, 9:06 PM
I have used Dewalt since 92 and some of those drills are still going strong I installed Revco and CVS drugstores for a living back then and had 6 12 volt dewalts 4 still work and the other 2 need a new switch.

Brice Burrell
04-16-2010, 9:29 PM
.....I am also going to be in the market for a new drill soon, but will be making the switch to Festool. Yes, their drills are very expensive, but I've really liked the other Festool tools I've bought so I thought I'd try one of their drills.

I used to think that too, until I tried one, then I bought two. I've got the a couple of the T25+3 drills, small, light and very powerful for their size. The batteries hold their charge for ever while sitting idle (and during use too). The price of admission isn't cheap but there isn't anything to match their versatility.

I wrote a review of them, check it out on my site: http://www.burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage86.html

Paul Ryan
04-16-2010, 9:46 PM
I have a crapsman 19.2 set and a dewalt XRP set. The crapsman is older and sees more use, to be honest I am not sure why. I bought the dewalt set because it had a cordless hammer drill that I had needed multiple time. Now I rarly use it anymore. To be totally honest the dewalt is better but not times as good. I think the crapsman set is a good buy for $100. I know a couple of electrician crews that only buy crapsman because they say that the crapsman have just as long of a life as anything else. Nothing lasts very long after falling off a latter once a day.

I had 1 of the batteries for my crapsman rebuilt by voltman and it is better than new, it lasts about 50% longer than the dewalt now. So my advice is if the tools are in good condition have the batteries rebuilt. It will run you close to $100 but they will be better than new batteries of any make.

Clifford Mescher
04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Dan, unless you have your heart set on a shinny new lithium ion you should consider having your batteries rebuilt. I just had 2 DeWalt & 2 PC batteries rebuilt by MTO with upgraded cells for $150 delivered. The two drills perform better than new.
+1 I had MTO do one of my Festool batteries and they are better then new. I plan to send them the other one. Clifford

Matt Meiser
04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
I like my Milwaukee M18 stuff. And its part of a huge system of available tools that use the same batteries.

Prashun Patel
04-16-2010, 10:59 PM
After reading about 100 threads on this topic, my conclusion is that it's much harder to pick a BAD drill/driver than a good one.

Use one that fits your hand, and your budget well, go for Lithium Ion batteries, and get something in the 14.4 to 18v range, and I bet you'll be happy.

My personal fave is the Makita compact set.

Tom Rick
04-17-2010, 6:54 AM
Seems like I had a dozen or so of these in all brands over the years. The standard Milwaukee 14.4 stood out and was still standing in spite of years of professional use and abuse. When the batteries finally died I picked up on the the M-18's. Nice drill. Solid and well built. I have not pushed it yet like the old 14.4 yet but it looks like it will be good to go.

Edit- to my mind 14.4 volts is where the cordless comes into its own in terms of utility. The big bad ni-cad 18 v drills were too clunky for general bench use. Now the LI Ion batteries are lighter and more compact so a 18 is lighter than the old 14.4's. I would just get one of the li-ion's in 18v and call it a day. If you pick up the standard battery (not extended run), they are really a nice package. I also have one of the Bosch micro right angle widgets which is a hoot when I need it for close in and hard to reach work so make sure to think about how you use it when you chose.

Jonathan Hsu
04-17-2010, 7:37 AM
+1 for the small Bosch set (10.2v / 12v). I've got the drill/driver, impact, and right angle drill. Lots of power for the odd job here and there around the house. Plenty of power for most tasks and in the small form factor.

I also have a Ridgid 18v LiO when they were on sale at HD. $150 for the drill/driver, impact and mini-sawzall, 2 compact batteries and charger. I've heard mixed results on the Lifetime Service Agreement. I grab it if needed, but the Bosch are what I reach for first. Plus they fit in a tool belt.

Curt Harms
04-17-2010, 9:06 AM
they had it at Lowes during Christmas for $199. Pretty nice set and the batteries hold a charge in storage nicely. I charged mine the middle of December and haven't touched them since. I also haven't used them much but they don't self discharge. The little 10.8v/12v tools are nice for woodworking type tasks in that I find it easier to use with finesse, cabinet fittings and such. The 18 volt impact driver will drive 1/4" lag bolts or deck screws all day long though.

Matt Winterowd
04-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I just got the Milwaukee M12 compact set and I really like them. Light and comfortable, but plenty of torque. I would definitely recommend them.

Zack Teal
04-17-2010, 9:11 PM
i have a makita xlt drill and its been treating me well. it was a little expensive but its awesome.