PDA

View Full Version : Uses for a Stanley 5 1/4 plane

Phillip Ngan
04-16-2010, 5:28 PM
I picked up a old Stanley 5 1/4 plane sans iron, chip break, and lever cap. I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to locate these missing parts to restore it into a usable condition. What is a Stanley 5 1/4 plane useful for? I already have a small but useful collection of planes.

Thanks

Mike Brady
04-16-2010, 5:39 PM
Hopefully you didn't spend big money for that incomplete plane. You need just about another whole plain to complete that one, and I'm not convinced that that particular model is worth the investment. They are not hard to find, complete, in good shape. To answer your question, it could be a nice smoother for smaller pieces. Most users find a #3 better for that purpose. By the way, if youdecide to restore that plane, #3 parts are identical to # 5-1/4.

Jim R Edwards
04-16-2010, 6:44 PM
I have seen decent ones go for 40-60 dollars. If it is a corrugated bottom then its is worth quite a bit more. I have two and I love them. I use them for smoothing smaller stock.

Ken Werner
04-16-2010, 9:09 PM
I have a nice SW 5 1/4 and I use it a good deal. I find it excellent for truing up edges of small stock, 3/4" wide or narrower, and for smoothing small surfaces. To me, it has a great feel in hand.

Phillip Ngan
04-16-2010, 9:56 PM
#3 part are the same as a #5 1/4 - very useful information. No I didn't pay much for the plane. I was part of a purchase of a #3 and #5 1/2. The #5 1/2 is a beast of plane. Rough but I'll do some work on it. The #3 is a recent Canadian Stanley, seems very cheaply made.