PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question - goop on new router bit

Victor Robinson
04-16-2010, 3:45 PM
So what exactly is this solidified goop on my new Whiteside router bit, and what is the preferred method of removing it?

Greg Portland
04-16-2010, 3:53 PM
It's a thick protective layer to keep the bit sharp during transport (banging around inside the box, etc.). It should be easy to cut it and then peel off. If you are picky then cut on the face of the carbide (metal knife blade will not scratch it).

mike holden
04-16-2010, 3:55 PM
Victor,
Dont know what it is, but I just use my fingernail to remove it.
It is the modern equivalent of cosmoline.
Mike

dont know what cosmoline is? ask your parents/grandparents - anyone who lived through WWII.

Rich Neighbarger
04-16-2010, 7:35 PM
I just chuck it up and turn it on. It comes off instantly.

Russ Buddle
04-16-2010, 8:13 PM
Thumbnail works fine here too.:)

glenn bradley
04-16-2010, 8:54 PM
+1 on thumbnail. Get it started somewhere NOT near a sharp edge and peel 'er off.

Jerome Stanek
04-16-2010, 9:00 PM
thumb nail here but one time sliced my thumb pretty bad after I got it off.

Ed Labadie
04-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Its called "Seal & peel". It's widely used in the industrial world for protecting cutting tools.
It comes in block form, you use an old crock pot to heat it up and liquify it.....then simply dip the cutting tool in it to coat it.

They've even got a website! (Don't get your hopes up)
http://sealpeel.com/about.html

FWIW...it stinks like 'ell when it's "cooking"

Ed

Greg Hines, MD
04-17-2010, 12:09 AM
10-20K RPMs usually works for me.

Doc

Bryan Morgan
04-17-2010, 1:10 AM
Its called "Seal & peel". It's widely used in the industrial world for protecting cutting tools.
It comes in block form, you use an old crock pot to heat it up and liquify it.....then simply dip the cutting tool in it to coat it.

They've even got a website! (Don't get your hopes up)
http://sealpeel.com/about.html

FWIW...it stinks like 'ell when it's "cooking"

Ed

What the heck kind of engine are those valves out of?!?!

I too just "peel" the stuff off. If it gives me any trouble just grab and xacto and have at it...

Chip Lindley
04-17-2010, 1:23 AM
....It is the modern equivalent of cosmoline....dont know what cosmoline is? ask your parents/grandparents - anyone who lived through WWII.

Cosmoline is alive and well. Finish-ground cast iron surfaces it coated with the sticky grease to retard rust before it is crated for shipment from China. (other countries too!) Just ask any Grizzly owner who bought NEW!!

Victor Robinson
04-17-2010, 2:07 AM
Ok, thanks everyone. Seemed easy to peel off but I didn't realize how easy it would actually come off. Thought I might have to dissolve it off in some solvent or something, which is why I asked.