PDA

View Full Version : Carole Valentine ?

Rich Stewart
04-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Hmmm. Wonder whatever happened to Carole Valentine. I had a feeling I'd be reading about her by now. A famous wood turner.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Rich,

If I remember correctly, Carole is a moderator and active over at WoodCentral.

Frank Kobilsek
04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Rich,

I spent sometime with Carole at the Ohio Symposium back in October. She had some very nice small Hollowforms in the Instant Gallery if I remember right.

Frank

Rich Stewart
04-16-2010, 3:02 PM
I should have just googled her. Found lots of stuff. She IS famous. I knew she would be.

So, how about Jon Hart. Anybody seen or heard from him lately?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2010, 3:27 PM
I haven't heard from John in over a year. I miss him. Nicest guy on the face of the planet.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2010, 6:49 PM
I tried e-mailing John and no reply. Went back and it has been about 1 1/2 yrs since I last talked with John.

Rich Stewart
04-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Last I heard he had moved into Amish country in Ohio. Maybe he chucked everything for a simpler life. I sure do agree with you Ken. Nicest guy ever.

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Rich there is no doubt he was a gem. When I first started turning he slipped me a couple of boxes of wood for free.

Cody Colston
04-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Actually Carol got upset about something that was said here at SMC. I never knew exactly what it was but she left and has not been back. It's a shame because she is a fine turner and was lots of fun on the forum. I still have her biscuit recipe.

I also agree about John Hart being a great guy.

Jerry Clark
04-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Actually Carol got upset about something that was said here at SMC. I never knew exactly what it was but she left and has not been back. It's a shame because she is a fine turner and was lots of fun on the forum. I still have her biscuit recipe.

I also agree about John Hart being a great guy.

Those were sure good biscuts-- everyone like them. I also got some wood from John Hart-- he was also a fun guy.

Carole Valentine
04-19-2010, 9:05 AM
Famous turner? Don't think so!
WC moderator? Nope. (Are you still not allowed to refer to other forums by name or post links here?:()
Pieces in the IG at OVWG? Nope. Sorry.
And yes, John Hart was/is a wonderful guy. Been a couple of years since I heard from him.

Oh...and those biscuits?...watch out for those dudes...they will make you as round as if someone stuck you on a lathe with the intention of turning a sphere!

Rich Stewart
04-19-2010, 1:14 PM
Nice to hear from you Carole. I enjoyed checking out your website. If not famous, I would say VERY accomplished.

John Keeton
04-19-2010, 2:05 PM
Carole, it seems that your "legend" was developing a life of its own and perhaps your continued silence may have added considerably to the profile!!!:D May have been interesting to "lay low" for awhile to see what other nice things would have been said about you!!;)

I wasn't around back then, but it is great to see you post, and I, too, took the opportunity to view your website with great interest. Some very good work, and an interesting history of your turning experience.

Cody Colston
04-19-2010, 2:40 PM
Hello Carole. Yep, your biscuits have made me er, full figured!

Neat to see you post here at SMC again. This forum was sure fun back when you, John Hart and others were here stirring the pot. :D

Larry Marley
04-19-2010, 8:04 PM
OK,
Now I'm confused...
Did Carole invent the Internet or not?

Mike Minto
04-19-2010, 8:34 PM
no, larry - wasn't that a guy named 'gore'? you know, the one who was wrong about 'global warming'?

Larry Marley
04-19-2010, 8:49 PM
no, larry - wasn't that a guy named 'gore'? you know, the one who was wrong about 'global warming'?

Oh, that's right...

Welcome back Carole

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2010, 8:52 PM
John,

Carole was one the turners who "enlightened" me. Her recommendations on reference material I pass on to others daily. You have received a lot of it. Like John Hart....I miss her daily presence here.

David E Keller
04-19-2010, 8:58 PM
I hope bygones can be bygones. I read through a few old threads, and I would love to have you back around the forum if you are so inclined.

I enjoyed a lot of the pieces in your gallery, and I would welcome the addition of another knowledgeable turner to the forum.

John Hart
04-23-2010, 4:12 PM
Carole sent me an email to see if I was dead or not. I think she hit me at the right time.

I am not the nicest guy ever however. I think that was Red Skelton. ;)

I've decided to rejoin this mob...after over two years of dedicated house work. Time to relax a bit.

Well.....maybe after I finish building my library. But still....I need a break.

Too much work makes johnny a dull boy

Glenn Clabo
04-23-2010, 4:58 PM
John!!!!! How the heck are ya? I was worried you went no electric and gave us all up for...well...you know.

John Hart
04-23-2010, 5:52 PM
John!!!!! How the heck are ya? I was worried you went no electric and gave us all up for...well...you know.

Heh heh...nope. Not giving up the electricity. How could I blast out the neighbors with The Mamas and Papas? :)

No...the fact is, life was getting too rough, and I was spending too much time playing. I guess there's a time when you just have to say, "Whoa Horsey!!!" and get down to the nitty gritty.

The housing crunch nearly destroyed us. but in the end, we had to bite the bullet and choose what was important...so we have our amish farm...good job....good school.....and that's all that matters.

This past winter, I found out the hard way that the amish like to run plumbing in the attic. A line burst and it rained down over the entire north end of the house (which is a whole house!!) The ceilings came down...the wood flooring destroyed...all the walls....everything.

Sooooo...with the insurance money, I decided to completely restore it m'self and turn it into a library. Here's some pics of how it looks so far.

Allen Neighbors
04-23-2010, 6:49 PM
For anyone interested, that "lacquer wash" that I'm always referring to is what I got from Carole Valentine. Only I modified it a little, to fit what I do.
Carole, you is still one of my heroes. I do keep tabs on you....

Kenneth Hertzog
04-23-2010, 8:37 PM
Carole and John

Its good to hear from both of you
Please keep in touch from time to time
John as I recall there was a big lathe in your shop
did you ever use it or am I wrong :rolleyes:

Ken

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2010, 8:41 PM
Beautiful library John. Great to see you back and posting.

Glenn and Ken I wasn't sure if it was the electricity or all the horses John was trying to acquire way back when that kept him so busy.:eek::cool:;):D I thought he was talking about getting the kids each a horse.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2010, 8:44 PM
Famous turner? Don't think so!
WC moderator? Nope. (Are you still not allowed to refer to other forums by name or post links here?:()
Pieces in the IG at OVWG? Nope. Sorry.
And yes, John Hart was/is a wonderful guy. Been a couple of years since I heard from him.

Oh...and those biscuits?...watch out for those dudes...they will make you as round as if someone stuck you on a lathe with the intention of turning a sphere!

Hey Carole good to see ya back and posting. Really have missed you and John posting. Good to see ya both back.

Keith Burns
04-23-2010, 8:47 PM
TA-DA, heeeee's back !

John Hart
04-23-2010, 9:24 PM
Hey Guys!! Nice to see these friendly faces! :)

Ken...That big lathe is going to get built this summer. I have all the stuff, plus a 19HP engine to drive it. I figure I can turn a 4 foot diameter hollowform in a snap!

But Really...Me making it back here at this time....it's Carole's fault. She wrote me an email the other day and told me that she was famous and I had to go see. And sure enough...there she was....floppy hat and everything!!:D

John Keeton
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Ken...That big lathe is going to get built this summer. I have all the stuff, plus a 19HP engine to drive it. I figure I can turn a 4 foot diameter hollowform in a snap!Apparently, by not being around here in the "old days" I missed out on some pretty tall tales!!:D

John, did you get the Binford plans from Tim Taylor???:eek:

Joe Mioux
04-23-2010, 10:14 PM
for what is worth,

I always enjoyed both Carole's and John's posts.

I can even remember when Carole wasn't a turner and she was on the flat side of life with her PM jointer and her porter cable dove tail jig.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Oh no! We have John Keeton fanning the fire for John "Horsey" Hart. This could get outrageous!:rolleyes:

Doug Thompson
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Carole, you are famous... everyone knows you. and John, things are better when your around so hang around.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
BTW....John Keeton......John Hart isn't exaggerating about the homemade lathe.

How many tons does it weigh John Boy?

Cody Colston
04-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Hello, John Hart and welcome back. Glad to see you are still alive and, soon, turning again.

The library looks great.

Curt Fuller
04-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow, what a treat hearing from Carole and John. Now if someone could shake Bill Stevener out of hiding! Anyone remember this?....http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21503 It's still the all time coolest woodturning I've ever seen!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Curt,

I don't think I'll ever forget the "Itty Bitty Contest".

I got such charge out of listening to the banter. You guys sucked me into the banter.....pushed me into the Vortex and my life will never be the same.

Now if Hoyt could jump in here.............

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Curt haven't heard from Bill in quite some time.

Ernie Nyvall
04-24-2010, 4:20 AM
Sooooo...with the insurance money, I decided to completely restore it m'self and turn it into a library. Here's some pics of how it looks so far.

Wow... John Hart, and I just got through watching "Night Of The Living Dead"... What a coincidence. :p I like all those book shelves. Nothing like a library in the house, and a book will beat a computer screen any day of the week. I mean, you know, as long as the peetchers are in color. Nice job so far John.

John Keeton
04-24-2010, 6:49 AM
John, looks like good fortune actually "rained down" on you, in a manner of speaking. I know it must have been a nightmare with the bursted pipe, but you sure made a fine recovery! Very nice work on the library project. I assume you have sufficient resource material to fill those shelves.

Curt, thanks for posting the link to Bill's creation! WOW! That thing is neat.

John Hart
04-24-2010, 7:01 AM
BTW....John Keeton......John Hart isn't exaggerating about the homemade lathe.

How many tons does it weigh John Boy?

Well...to haul the 5 main steel pieces... it took three trips with a truck that could handle 3/4 ton...and I had to drive real slow....so I'm figuring between 1 or 2 or 3 tons. It'll have a 36" swing. I'll probably hafta use a chainsaw for roughing. :rolleyes:

John, did you get the Binford plans from Tim Taylor???
oooh oooh oooh ;)

John Hart
04-24-2010, 7:04 AM
John, looks like good fortune actually "rained down" on you, in a manner of speaking. I know it must have been a nightmare with the bursted pipe, but you sure made a fine recovery! Very nice work on the library project. I assume you have sufficient resource material to fill those shelves.

Curt, thanks for posting the link to Bill's creation! WOW! That thing is neat.

Funny thing John...I've been collecting books for this for over 25 years. Boxes and boxes of books that I've long forgotten about. A lot of them are over 100 years old....some from the 1700's.