PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Table Saw - advice needed

Don Robinson
04-16-2010, 9:39 AM
I have a Craftsman table saw which is about four or five years old that has developed a problem. Sometimes when I turn it on, it makes a horrible chattering sound and acts like the blade is loose, which it isn't.A couple of times the vibration has kicked off the reset. I have looked around it for an obvious problem like something may be loose but I don't find anything obvious. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how do I go about fixing it?
Thanks for any advice

Troy Turner
04-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Don -

Welcome aboard! Is your saw belt driven or direct drive? If it's belt driven, may be time to change the belt. I'd go with a link or twist belt. Does a good job at reducing virbration. Also, check to make sure all your nuts and bolts are tightened up as well.

Joe Scharle
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
My first thought is loose motor pulley.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-16-2010, 11:46 AM
My first thought is loose motor pulley.

Me too... If it is, since you're already there, change out the belt with a link belt. The difference is amazing. Check the arbor pulley too.

David G Baker
04-16-2010, 11:53 AM
+1 on the loose pulley. Happened to me last Fall. Replaced both pulleys and keys now all is fine.

Lee Schierer
04-16-2010, 11:56 AM
My craftsman uses a clip on plastic guard for the belt and motor pulley and it sometimes gets dislodged slightly so it will touch the belt. It makes an awful chattering noise.

Jerome Hanby
04-16-2010, 12:11 PM
My craftsman uses a clip on plastic guard for the belt and motor pulley and it sometimes gets dislodged slightly so it will touch the belt. It makes an awful chattering noise.

Ditto, same thing happened to me. Of course the motor pulley was also a bit loose which caused the initial contact with the guard.

Don Robinson
04-16-2010, 3:22 PM
Thanks, guys for the thoughts on my problem. I looked closer and found that it is a direct drive, no belt. I am assuming now that it must probably be the bearings in the motor so I priced the new motor and found that it costs $140 just for the motor. Rather than go to all the trouble of replacing it I just ordered a new saw. The old one has done lots of work anyway so it is probably tired like me!
Thanks again
DonR