PDA

View Full Version : final decision: buying a Unisaw

dale rex
11-14-2004, 5:33 PM
After a long time of indecision, I have have finally decided to buy a Unisaw. Looked at all of the competition and come to the conclusion that a Unisaw will be the one. When I make the actual purchase will depend on when my garage is finished being built.( I cant lug that monster down into my current basement shop) Talked to the contractor yesterday and he is scheduled to start the excavating the first week in December, as long as the ground is not frozen. So, as long as he can start when he wants to, I will be in the garage by mid January, insulating and wiring . I am having the structure built(30' x 24') professionally, and I am finishing the rest. I can hardly wait! I have been waiting for fifteen years to do this( 2 children and lack of extra money). Its going to be alot of hard work, but I have done so many favors for all of my relatives over the years that now it is time for them to help me! I will keep you all posted on both the saw purchase and the garage...... thanks for all of the advice on the saw, it really did help! BTW, I have to try and figure out how to post pictures on this forum, is there anywhere I can learn this?

Carole Valentine
11-14-2004, 6:09 PM
Good decision! You will really like the Uni. If you can, get an aftermarket guard and splitter. (I use the Uniguard with removable splitter) Must be exciting to be building a new shop and have everything just the way you want it!:D

Ted Shrader
11-14-2004, 6:23 PM
Dale -

You will be very happy with your choice. Good thing is you did a lot of shopping and picked the one you wanted. BTW - left or right tilt?

Pictures of the shop in progress would be great. It is not hard to post the pics. Just make sure each file (picture) is 100K or less. Save them in some convenient spot on your hard drive. At the bottom of the menu when you are making a post there is "Manage Attachments" button. Click that, then click the Browse button. Click on an image you just saved and hit the Upload button. You can do that several times per post to include several images. When you have done that, click Submit New Thread button and you are done.

Ted

dale rex
11-14-2004, 6:57 PM
I still am a little fuzzy on the left/right tilt issue.:confused: I have some time to decide yet. BTW I have chosen the Biesemeyer fence over the Unifence, and am going to use my Excalibur overhead guard(I already own it)and a Biesemeyer snap in splitter(which I must buy to fit this new saw.) It is an excellent combo that I have used for three years now on my contractors saw.I now see that Excalibur has upgraded the overhead guard to swivel out of the way when not in use.Mine is the older model that doesnt have that feature.

Bruce Page
11-14-2004, 9:28 PM
Dale, there are several good cabinet saws out there but you won’t regret choosing the Unisaw. I bought one several years ago and I still smile whenever I push the green button! :)
One tip on posting pictures, don’t do a post preview after uploading your pics or they will get lost in cyber land.

I'm looking forward to your shop progress pictures!

mike lucas
11-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Congratulations on you decision, Even though it is not a Powermatic PM66, I am sure you will get decades of great service from it.

Rob Russell
11-14-2004, 10:30 PM
What's the issue with putting a Unisaw into your current basement? The top comes off and the base will fit through any door. Just curious.

I had a Unisaw in my basement. Nice saw.

Ed Falis
11-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Dale,

I agree with Rob - you can take the top off and the motor out, and it becomes pretty easy to get it down through a bulkhead entrance. (If you do, note where the shims under the table top are). So, maybe you don't have to wait for the saw.

- Ed

Norman Hitt
11-15-2004, 3:32 AM
[QUOTE=dale rex]After a long time of indecision, I have have finally decided to buy a Unisaw. When I make the actual purchase will depend on when my garage is finished being built.( I cant lug that monster down into my current basement shop)

Dale, DON'T FORGET, that it has been widely reported that ALL Tool Mfrs are expected to have Significant PRICE Increases, after the first of the year. It might be wise to find the best deal SOON, and make the purchase, with a hold on the actual delivery until you notify them that you are ready for it, (when your garage/shop is finished). It might save you some "Big Bucks".

Just a thought............Norm

PS: Congratulations in advance on the new saw. I think you will really like the Bies Fence, and you already know about the Bies Splitter from experience. I have both, on my PM.

JayStPeter
11-15-2004, 8:43 AM
The Unisaw has a quickly removable splitter available for around $30 if you want to save some money over the Bies. It doesn't look as nice as a Bies and takes an extra half second or so to attach/remove. It is the one that comes with the Uniguard. I can get the part number if you're interested, you have to order it from Delta directly.

Jay

Greg Narozniak
11-15-2004, 9:25 AM
I have no regreats and I really doubt you will either

Mike Kelly
11-15-2004, 3:12 PM
Dale, you might want to go to, http://bluefive.pair.com/ and download "PIXresizer" for resizing scanned in snapshots or digital pictures. It is a freeware program that I learned about here on SMC. It will reduce pictures to a viewable size here. If you reduce them to xxx X 500 or 500 X xxx they will attach easily without getting error messages. Happy sawdust and good pictures for us.

Kent Cori
11-15-2004, 3:19 PM
Dale,

There have been multiple threads on the right tilt vs. left tilt topic. You can use the search feature to find them. I have a left tilt and am very happy with it. However, IMHO, if you are comfortable with the tilt direction you now have, stick with it.