PDA

View Full Version : How high?

Ralph Laughton
04-16-2010, 9:23 AM
Now I know it depend how tall one is but in relation to your body how high should the centres of a lathe be? I only ask this because up until now I have been using Record lathe sitting on a bench. We (my wife really) has just purchased a nice Little Jet lathe. This sits a bit higher that my original and initially feel uncomfortable. Is thee a recommended hight of is it just a case of seeing what feels right?

Original lathe
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60866/07.jpg

New Lathe sits a few inches higher
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60866/WW2_7971.JPG

Ralph ;)

Robert McGowen
04-16-2010, 9:38 AM
I have always heard spindle height = elbow height. Mine is a little higher than that, as I turn vases and it just feels more comfortable that high. YMMV

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2010, 10:17 AM
I used the measurement from the floor to the bend of the elbow. I added two inches to make it higher so I wasn't bending over as much. I have a Jet 1220 and a Rikon that are set at the same height.

Frank Van Atta
04-16-2010, 11:06 AM
The old standard is "elbow height." I've had my Jet there for years, but still experience back pain after a few hours turning. Last week I moved it up 2 inches . . . the difference is quite noticeable.

So . . . another vote for "elbow height" + 2 in.

Paul Atkins
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
For me, elbow height is the starting point, but if I am turning tops or small stuff, a bit higher is better for some reason. When I am turning porch posts and large diameter columns, lower is better for tool control. Most of my lathes are the same height, so I use rubber horse stall mats to stand on and raise me up.

Ralph Laughton
04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Interesting....

My old lathe is about an inch below my elbow - the new one is two or three inches above. I suppose I got used to the height of the old one but I do not spend hours standing there - yet!

Thanks for all the input. I think, for me, around elbow height is what I prefer at the moment but it will be interesting to see how I get on after a long turning session.

Ralph ;)

Mark Hazelden
04-16-2010, 7:46 PM
Like Bernie, my lathe is 2" higher than my elbow. It at first was set to my elbow height and my back got very sore. Back pain went away after setting the lathe higher.

Belton Garvin
04-20-2010, 9:48 PM
I also originally heard elbow hieght was the way to go. I ended up raising it up another 2 inches to ease my back a little. I am beginning to think a lot of it has to do with my failing eye sight. I have a set of 2.0 safety glasses and the higher my lathe, the less I have to bend over to see my work.

charlie knighton
04-21-2010, 3:15 AM
congratulations on your new lathe, i am not sure how high mine is :eek:

Steve Schlumpf
04-21-2010, 9:03 AM
Ralph - I always thought that the height depended on what you turned and the tools that you use. For spindles, set it at elbow height; Bowls, set it higher.

I turn mostly hollow forms and bowls and have my lathe set approximately 2" higher than my elbow. Makes a big difference in posture and saves your back. With bowls and hollow forms, the handle of the gouge is usually locked to my hip in order to get the correct cutting angle. With spindle turning you raise the handle to engage the cutting edge - so you will want the lathe height low enough to be able to comfortably use any of those tools.

bob svoboda
04-21-2010, 9:07 AM
I turn mostly bowls and I like mine at elbow height plus 2". BTW it rains here too! About 80" (192cm) per year.:mad: