PDA

View Full Version : Salt Grinders

Greg Just
04-16-2010, 8:40 AM
I have made quite a few pepper grinders using the Crush Grind mechanism. Can this be used for salt? If not, what do you use? I have someone that wants a matching set and I like the clean lines from using the Crush Grind.

Bob Vavricka
04-16-2010, 9:43 AM
Greg, I use the Crush Grind mechanism for making matched pepper and salt grinders and they work fine. I have noticed that sometime the sea salt tends to make the grinder hard to turn, but a short twist backward takes care of that. I suspect that also depends on how fine you have it set to grind and the coarseness of the salt. I think if you read the information about the Crush Grind at the sites that sell them that they tell you they are fine to use for salt.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Greg this is the one I use. I haven't had any problems with the ones I have made.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Pepper___Salt_Mills___Deluxe_Salt_Mill_ Mechanism___dlx_salt_mill?Args=

I use these for the peppermills.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Pepper___Salt_Mills___Deluxe_Pepper_Mil l_Mechanism___dlx_pep_mill?Args=

And they are marked with the S & P.

Here is one I have used that says it does it all. They work well.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Pepper___Salt_Mills___Crush_Grinder_Mec hanism___crush_grind?Args=

Greg Just
04-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Bernie:

The third one you pointed out is the one I normally use. I did not realize the description included salt:

Crush Grinder Mechanism

The Crush Grinder is an innovative grinding mechanism that has redefined pepper, salt and spice grinding. The mortar and pestle grinding action of the Crush Grinder makes grinding salt, pepper, herbs and spices and all kinds of blends almost effortless. This type of ceramic crushing mechanism has been used by the leaders in grinding technology, but now is finally available to the workshop craftsman.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Greg

cody michael
04-17-2010, 9:16 PM
how do you make these? it says turn partially then drill the finish turn how do you finish turn them if they have holes through them?

Greg Just
04-18-2010, 8:09 AM
how do you make these? it says turn partially then drill the finish turn how do you finish turn them if they have holes through them?

Cody:

I turn my blank round putting a tenon on the end that will become the top. Next I use my 4-jaw chuck to hold the wood and drill the appropriate hole for the grinding mechanism to the proper depth. Then I part off the top using a thin parting tool and now have a bottom section with a hole all the way through and a center mark for the top section. During the drilling process, the drill probably did not go directly down the middle of the blank. After I have 2 pieces, I use a jamb chuck setup to true up the bottom blank putting the drilled hole back in the center. Then I complete the turning to the desired shape. I use a similar setup for the top, using the center mark for reference as to the new center. I'm sure others do it differently, but this works for me.

Greg