PDA

View Full Version : True waterproof glues

Josh Rudolph
04-16-2010, 8:12 AM
Guys,

I have a need for a truely waterproof glue. I am currently using Gorilla Glue and would like to avoid the mess.

What do you use? and can it handle full submersion?

Thanks,
Josh

Peter Quinn
04-16-2010, 9:11 AM
Submersion? I think you're looking at epoxy and resourcinol. I use west systems for epoxy, havent used resourcinol. Tite bond III is waterproof but I don't think its rated for use below the water line.

Quinn McCarthy
04-16-2010, 10:08 AM
West systems and titebond 3

HTH

Quinn

george wilson
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Colonial Williamsburg maintenance uses West system and resorcinol for outdoor furniture and submersibles.

Steve Griffin
04-16-2010, 1:46 PM
ah, here I go revealing one of the best trade secrets ever.

Hot melt polyurethane glue gun is the best new tool I have purchased in the last two years. This isn't your grandmas craft glue gun for christmas wreaths, which uses the waxy candles and is barely strong enough to be able to hold it's own weight. Nope, this is a polyurethane type glue which dries to near epoxy strength and is water proof.

It sets in 30-75 seconds, depending on the glue you use. It's a dream come true for many assembly situations on the job site. Hold two pieces of wood where you want them, or pin nail/quick grip them and in a minute you have a nearly as strong as the wood bond. Crown molding installers dream come true!

The downsides--the little tubes are spendy, often set up in storgage or after one use. The gun is a piece of junk and mine is falling apart already. It sets quick and is hard to spread so it doesn't work well for glueing up large objects or table tops. BUT, even with these issues, it's a must have tool.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6576&utm_source=Amazon&utm_medium=ad&utm_campaign=Amazon

-Steve

Greg Portland
04-16-2010, 5:44 PM
Steve, I have tried glue guns with "better" glues before and have had problems with the glue drying / solidifying almost instantly (open time of 5 seconds or so) when it hits the wood. What temperatures do you use the glue gun product? Do you use the Rockler gun or something else?

Steve Griffin
04-16-2010, 7:46 PM
Yes, the one I linked to. At room temp they work exactly as advertised--30-75 second till it grabs tight. Very strong bond in a few minutes, and max strength in about 24 hours.

-Steve

Josh Rudolph
04-17-2010, 3:32 PM
I will look into trying West system and Resorcinol. We tried Titebond III and it failed miserably. Gorilla glue beat it all day long.

We are not sure what standard Titebond uses to verify it is waterproof, it only passes the ANSI/HPVA Type I water-resistance specification.

I always thought waterproof meant it was submersible. The limitations on how waterproof it is, determined it's allowable depth of submersion.

Anyhow thanks for the ideas guys.

Josh

Howard Acheson
04-17-2010, 4:42 PM
Rescorcinal is the quintessential truly waterproof adhesive. It's the only one used in the boat building trade for applications in the water below the waterline.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=64&SubcatID=10

Cody Colston
04-17-2010, 8:50 PM
TBIII is a type 1 waterproof glue but it is not meant for submerged applications. For outdoor furniture and stuff it's a great glue and more consistent in results than poly glue.

I use West System epoxy occassionally instead of TBIII, especially if I need gap-filling capability. I've quit using poly glue altogether and have never used Resorcinal...never had a need for it.

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-18-2010, 12:19 AM
I have to think that epoxy will be messier than Gorilla glue.??

David Cefai
04-18-2010, 12:33 AM
IN this part of the world Cascamite - a resorcinol glue - is used by many boat builders. It's a little fussy about mixing but has a good open time.

A toy eggbeater works well to mix it with water.

Epoxy will not be messy if you buy the dispensing pumps but that depends on how much epoxy you intend to use.

Tim Sgrazzutti
04-18-2010, 8:19 PM
If you need a cheaper solution than epoxy, PL Premium construction adhesive works.

Joe Chritz
04-18-2010, 11:05 PM
There are epoxy systems available that allows you to build part of aquariums from plywood. It won't get more waterproof than that. If the parts are going to be submerged you are well beyond "normal" wood usage and need to look to something like system 3 epoxy.

I am waiting for one of those Hi-purformer glue guns. I have a lot of projects that it appears will be very hand for.

Joe

Larry Edgerton
04-19-2010, 7:39 AM
Call West System and they will send you their technical manual for nothing. It has all of the answers to any questions you will probably come up with. If not they have a tech line second to none. That is why I do business with them.

I have used resorcinol for a two story round Victorian gazebo that was all bent laminations. It has been in a extreme enviroment on a lake facing the prevaling NW winds for twenty years and there is not a single failure. That being said it is not at all bad to work with, but it will leave a dark line if that is a problem. Be carefull not to breathe the dust when mixing as it is an irritant. Walnut dust I believe, and only a problem when you first start to mix. Just do it outside.

Lex Boegen
04-19-2010, 7:48 AM
I've used resorcinol when building a small boat. Be aware that it leaves a very visible glue-line (dark red in color). Like epoxy, it's a two-part mixture. I'll use resorcinol when I build a new screen door for my porch, because I will paint the door so I don't care about the visible glue line.

Bill White
04-19-2010, 8:41 AM
Rescorcinal is the quintessential truly waterproof adhesive. It's the only one used in the boat building trade for applications in the water below the waterline.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=64&SubcatID=10

Howard has the answer. I used the stuff on a back porch project. Aside from being purple, it was easy to use and will be there long after I'm gone.
Bill