PDA

View Full Version : Monticello Poplar

Hilel Salomon
04-16-2010, 7:59 AM
Thank you to all of you who had kind words to say about my mediocre turnings of the Monticello poplar I got (shown-more or less- in the post "Wood gloat gone amok).
Living as I do (when in Virginia) fairly near Monticello, I've taken visiting friends and family there on numerous occasions.
The story behind the wood acquisition is at the following site:

http://www.fredwilliamson.com/Pages-Main/Monticello-Tulip-Poplar.html

I thought that some of you might be interested. Fred is an outstanding turner, and he took a bunch of the limbs and smaller pieces and put them up at our monthly silent auction, proceeds benefiting the Central Virginia Woodturners.

Hilel.

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 8:25 AM
Hilel, that is a neat story! Thanks for the link.

Ray Bell
04-16-2010, 9:10 AM
Neat story Hilel. That's the problem with living out west. We just don't have the history you folks do.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Hilel very nice story. I wondered if that tree was the one they took down. They were talking about it when I and the family were up there in June 2008.

Hilel Salomon
04-16-2010, 3:33 PM
Hi Bernie,

I'm pretty sure it was that particular tree. Fred Williamson made some fantastic pieces out of the main trunk, whereas all but a few of the pieces I got were limbs and branches. I was incredibly cautious about the wood, trying to use as much of it as possible. There is divided opinion as to whether the giant tree dates back to Jefferson's time or was planted later. Either way, it was a very old tree and it's a nice piece of history for the ladies in my family to have.

Hilel.

David E Keller
04-16-2010, 5:04 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Baxter Smith
04-16-2010, 5:16 PM
Very interesting story. Visited there a few years ago. Thanks for the link!