PDA

View Full Version : Router purchasing - revisited

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2003, 1:18 AM
I went by my local Lowes today and they had the Hitachi M12V marked down to $179 and that is with the Fine Adjustment knob, the Edge Guide and the Guide Bushing Adapter plate.

As some of you know....I have been researching about routers for a bit so I can make a wise purchase. I already have a PC690 D-handle, a Makita 1.5hp Plunge (broken lock mechanism) and a DeWalt 3hp VS router (table mounted). I really need a VS router that I can use "hand held" and has the ability to use both 1/4" AND 1/2" shank router bits as well as the occasional buide bushing for template routing as well as the ability to Plunge.

My real question? Is this a good price for the 3-1/4hp M12V and if so, would it be fine to use as a hand-held router...or would it be too heavy for hand router work? It won't be used for "fine routing" work like inlays...but for edge treatments, pattern routing for making LOML's kitchen chairs and such.

Would it be better to just get a 2hp model since it will be lighter to use by hand...?

As always, your feedback and wisdom is greatly appreciated and taken into serious consideration.

David Rose
04-02-2003, 2:02 AM
Dennis, you should get more experienced replies, but here is my take on the matter.

I don't know about the Hitachi price. But handling them in the borgs, they seem a little sticky in the plunge.

I use a Dewalt 621 for hand held work mainly because the plunge is smooth. Even with this router it is easy to bind it pushing down a little more firmly on one side than the other. And this is with well waxed plunge rods. For instance, when plunging for mortises I use some side pressure to hold the router edge guide to the side of the fixture. Just this much difference and the plunge will be sticky.

David

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-02-2003, 7:57 AM
I've never had any problems associated with the plunge of a 621 (I use two of these). Smoothest plunger I've ever used and/or fiddled with.

The M12V is much too big for use as a hand-held router, IMO, but maybe the best bargain around for a table (I use too of these, also). I've heard the Triton may be worth a look, but it's a lto more money.

I've not looked at the new Bosch package(s), but my 2HP fixed base (1517EVS?) has performed well for two or three years now. Excellent unit.

KC

Dave Avery
04-02-2003, 8:43 AM
Dennis,

I'd look at the 2hp kits..... Bosch is mentioned by most, but I have the Makita and like it VERY much. The added benefit of the Makita is that it takes PC bushings without an adapter.

$179 is a very good price for the Hitachi. It's usually $199 with the accessories. Rarely, Amazon will have a $40 off Hitachi tools coupon reducing the price to $159. I'm sure Rod Peterson will have an opinion on the subject. Check his site (or woodshopdemos) for more information on the Hitachi. Dave.

Paul Geer
04-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Dennis,

I'll have to say we have the M12V (over 10 years old and still kick,n) and it's been and still is a great router. I've been using it as a hand held and don't think it's too heavy, however, for inlay work, yes too much router for the job.

I would go with a 1 or 1 1/2 HP router for that kind of work. Maybe 2HP but not much more then that.

We been using it for panel rising and rounding over and other larger profiles. Sounds like what you're going to use it for.

JayStPeter
04-02-2003, 8:30 PM
I use an M12V in my router table. I got it off ebay for $99 (just the router, wrench and 1/4" adapter). The $179 sounds like a good deal on a new one. ToolCrib (not amazon, just the catalog) had M12V refurbs for a while for $159.

Rod Peterson
04-03-2003, 12:44 AM
<br>
I think at $179 the M12V is a great buy. Sure refurbs and smokin' deals from poor widder women might come along, but day in, day out, if you can get one for a buck seventy nine, leap all over it.

Personally I love the M12V for a router table. In fact I think it's the perfect table router.

However, I think all of the 15 amp class routers are a little beefy for hand held routing. Not that they can't, just that for rounding over, cutting dovetails, mortising, slotting, well all the stuff you do handheld, there's really no need for a <b>Big Boy</b>, and you'll probably be happier with a small router for work in the hands.

But at $179 I don't think you should pass up the M12V, although the price isn't unheard of.

For handheld plunging the P-C 693 suits me right down to the ground, although it's the plunger people love to hate.

I've heard the Bosch and Makita 11 amp class plungers do a nice job.

If you can stand yellow tools I'm told a couple of them do a good job with their smaller plungers.

Don't be fooled, by the way, into thinking that an 11 amp router is 2 hp or that a 15 amp router is 3¼ hp.

Stan Smith
04-03-2003, 4:47 PM
I have the Hitachi in my router table and it works great. I used to have the Freud 2000, but I managed to mess it up. I followed C. John Herberts pics on his website to make modifications for the table fit. C.John's pics are a great resource. I also have a pc693 which I mostly use for dados and on stuff that isn't practical to run on the table. I also have a little ryobi which is basically a laminate router that I use for small roundovers. I find that I'm using it more and more because it is easier to handle because it's so light. I'm sort of thinking that maybe I should have something a little more beefy, but the ryobi is holding up okay so far. I remember getting the hitachi, on amazon, last year for $149 with all the goodies.

Jim Becker
04-03-2003, 6:42 PM
Dennis, although I too would be concerned with the weight of the M12V for hand-held use, it's a steal at $179, especially with the included accessories. (Check that it includes both collets so you at least know...)

I'd buy it and use it as you intend for that price. If you find that the size and weight is more than you like, you can dedicate it to a more stationary task and go for one of the very nice 12 amp VS units that are available today.

Keith Outten
04-03-2003, 6:57 PM
With all the talk about routers here I would be glad to do some research into putting together a bulk buy package for everyone. I had discussed this in the past, a program we call "SawBucks" where we contact the manufacturers and negotiate a major purchase of equipment and tools.

All I need to know is how many, what model and what manufacturer? If we can order 100 routers I'll be willing to bet we can get a huge discount.

Anyone inrerested? Are there any other items you are interested in purchasing that we could put together a "SawBucks" bulk buy?

Jason Roehl
04-03-2003, 7:06 PM
Keith,

I'd like the new PC...11A, VS, Lever-release. Looks to me to be the long-term replacement to the 690. I think it's a 690LRVS or something like that.

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2003, 8:40 PM
DW621 VS Plunge

Spence DePauw
04-03-2003, 9:01 PM
Not to be too different, but I'd be in the market for either the Milwaukee 3hp or the Triton. Point being to mount in a table, and not have to buy a router lift...

Spence

David Rose
04-04-2003, 12:51 AM
I would likely go with another Dewalt 621 or a Triton.

David

Jim Becker
04-04-2003, 10:10 AM
My opinion is that if a volume buy were to occur for a router, one of the 11-12 amp VS kits would be the most universally useful to the most folks. These kits include both fixed and plunge bases--and both are really good to have in the shop. There are some operations that are best done with the fixed base and others that are more appropriate for the plunge.

Although I recently bought the Dewalt kit, the PC, Makita and Bosch are all excellent choices to also consider. The bottom line will be the bottom line...which vendor will provide the best value for a volume purchase.