PDA

View Full Version : The one thing leads to another syndrome....

Terry Hatfield
04-15-2010, 11:37 PM
So after wrestling some of the monster 8/4 white oak boards thru my Ridgid planer a zillion times to get them to proper thickness, I've decided that I'm going to buy a Griz G0453Z "real" planer. I've been standing out in the shop contemplating where the new planer is going to go. I think I have the best plan all figured but it's going to mean moving the existing planer of course, the lathe, the edge sander, a very heavy metal table, bunch of planes and plane parts...and I mean a bunch, and the spindle sander, the scroll saw, my desk and the drill press....and seeing as how all that stuff is moving around, then I'll need to take down 75% of my duct work and rearrange that to get everything where it needs to go and then, there is always the electircal issue and then, and then....Oh, Lord, maybe I'll just keep the Ridgid planer.

Rod Sheridan
04-16-2010, 8:46 AM
Terry, you're not alone.

I replaced a General saw and shaper with a Hammer B3 Winner and I'm experimenting with different machine orientations in my shop.

As you said, after that it's tin whacking time to modify my ducting........The fun never ends.......Rod.

Terry Hatfield
04-16-2010, 9:15 AM
Terry, you're not alone.

I replaced a General saw and shaper with a Hammer B3 Winner and I'm experimenting with different machine orientations in my shop.

As you said, after that it's tin whacking time to modify my ducting........The fun never ends.......Rod.

It's been a VERY long time since I have moved anything in my shop. Kinda looking forward to it but kinda dreading it at the same time. I know that the new arangement will be better than it is now both in machine placement/work flow and in dust collection efficency but it seems like a lot of work for replacing a single tool. :D

Brian Kincaid
04-16-2010, 9:45 AM
...buy a Griz G0453Z "real" planer...

I feel your pain on the re-arranging, but I have a G0453Z and it is light years better than a lunchbox. MUCH Less noise, more depth of cut, 2 feed rate speeds, great dust collection, and the mobile base it built-in to the machine.

-Brian

Terry Hatfield
04-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I feel your pain on the re-arranging, but I have a G0453Z and it is light years better than a lunchbox. MUCH Less noise, more depth of cut, 2 feed rate speeds, great dust collection, and the mobile base it built-in to the machine.

-Brian

Thanks Brian! I'm looking forward to getting it. Need to save up a few more dollars and then a trip to Grizzly!!! All my tools are pretty much bolted to the floor so the mobile base is not a big deal for me but I am looking very forward to all the other things you listed!

Bruce Page
04-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I wish I had the luxury of a large shop so I could move things around!

glenn bradley
04-16-2010, 1:54 PM
Sounds good Terry. Just an observation; when I have to remove that much thickness, I just resaw it off on the bandsaw and take a couple passes on the planer.

Terry Hatfield
04-16-2010, 7:11 PM
Sounds good Terry. Just an observation; when I have to remove that much thickness, I just resaw it off on the bandsaw and take a couple passes on the planer.

I did exactly that on the last board but I'm a little unsure about the wood moving since I'm removing so much more from one side than the other. The last chair parts have been sitting in the shop since Monday and look good so far but who knows???

t

Dan Karachio
04-18-2010, 7:01 PM
Having just gone through this on a much smaller scale in a home basement shop, I say go for it. You come into the shop and it feels like a whole new place, you just might come up with a great new layout and in the process will probably clean the old place up and out of any unwanted stuff.

Jim Becker
04-18-2010, 8:37 PM
Oh, my....Terry! (Been there...done that...several times....LOL)

Joe A Faulkner
04-18-2010, 10:01 PM
All I wanted was heat. The answer - total shop remodel. The plan, sheath the concrete block in rigid foam, then frame in 2x4 interior walls. Totally rewire everything except the ceiling lights. Insulate, sheath the interior walls, put down a raised wooden floor, run some 220 and 110 outlets in the floor; install central dust collection; oh and the building needs a new roof; somewhere along the line, run gas line to the shop and install a furnace. Until then, no new wood working projects. I promise; though my wife tells me that some new flower boxes would make a good mother's day gift.

Leo Graywacz
04-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Put wheels on it and pull it out when you need it. No need to rearrange your entire shop for the planer.

Terry Hatfield
04-19-2010, 5:37 PM
Put wheels on it and pull it out when you need it. No need to rearrange your entire shop for the planer.

The issue with that is that I use several of the horse stall mats in my shop and rolling things over and around them is not going to happen with a 700 lb planer. I've been working on a layout that still mmakes good sense and will require much less moving stuff around...especially the ductwork. We'll see how it goes in a few weeks when I actually have the planer.

Foras Noir
04-19-2010, 6:29 PM
I budget 20% of my time to working on the shops. Many times, way too many really, that is the only thing that keeps me from working on them full time.

Paul McGaha
04-21-2010, 6:31 PM
Terry,

I'm in the same boat. I upgraded my planer at the start of the year from a lunchbox to a full size planer and it made it really tight in the shop.

About a month ago I upgraded my shaper and it stopped the shop, one piece too many.

I wound up moving probably half the shop to get things to fit. I had been planning a dust collector upgrade and figured now was probably a good time with everything moving around and under sort of a remodel.

I've settled the location of the large pieces but there is some small stuff to fit in.

I suppose I will have everything finished in a few weeks.

I sincerely hope that this layout works for a while. It's sort of my shop version 2.0.

I suppose changes to our shops affect us all from time to time.

PHM

Terry Hatfield
04-21-2010, 7:04 PM
Terry,

I'm in the same boat. I upgraded my planer at the start of the year from a lunchbox to a full size planer and it made it really tight in the shop.

About a month ago I upgraded my shaper and it stopped the shop, one piece too many.

I wound up moving probably half the shop to get things to fit. I had been planning a dust collector upgrade and figured now was probably a good time with everything moving around and under sort of a remodel.

I've settled the location of the large pieces but there is some small stuff to fit in.

I suppose I will have everything finished in a few weeks.

I sincerely hope that this layout works for a while. It's sort of my shop version 2.0.

I suppose changes to our shops affect us all from time to time.

PHM

This is about shop 5.0 for me :D but it has been a really long time since I have done much moving around. 'Course if things keep breaking around here it might be 6 months before I have enough saved to get the planer anyhow.:(

t

Bill Blackburn
04-22-2010, 8:33 AM
Everything you dealing with Terry brings about a round of memories. Some good and some not. So I have resolved it for 6 months anyway. Springtime. Boat. Walleye and Musky. More lake shoreline to roam all around me than I can handle in 5 lifetimes. All woods too so there is my fall fill in chasing Bambi when water starts to harden. :o

So I'll check in every now and then to see how ya'll are doing but for me the great outdoors is my new shop:D

Good luck on the make-over