PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like you post too much?

Joe Shinall
04-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Does anyone ever feel like you either ask to many questions or answer to many to much? I feel like I ask or answer someone everyday at least once and sometimes I feel like I shouldn't give my 2 cents because I don't want to be annoying. Anyone else feel that way?

Rob Bodenschatz
04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Does anyone ever feel like you either ask to many questions or answer to many to much? I feel like I ask or answer someone everyday at least once and sometimes I feel like I shouldn't give my 2 cents because I don't want to be annoying. Anyone else feel that way?

No.

-------------------------

Clarence Miller
04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I think that is the basis for this forum. There are countless members who just read the postings. I have even corrected on some wrong thinking which saved me a lot of time and frustration. I'm thinking that the sheer massive amount of members would allow a person to post 2-3 times a day and only be seen by an individual member a few time a week. Let's say you post twice in Turners once in Neanderthal, and one in general wood working. Chances are most people will miss your post in at least one of the forums.

Terry Hatfield
04-15-2010, 10:42 PM

Cut it out Joe. I can't take all this posting any more!!!!!! LOL......:D

Seriously, what's the deal? If you have something to contribute, then by all means, contribute. It's what the board is for. Relax and post as much as you wnat. If anyone says anything, tell them that I said it was OK. :eek:

Zach England
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
only when I post about posting too much

Brian Kent
04-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Nah, I live to read and post on Sawmill Creek.

Brian Kent
04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
I could do it all day.

First time I have gotten this message:
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 11 seconds

Brian Kent
04-15-2010, 11:01 PM
In fact I do read and post all day. But not too much, nope.

Joe Shinall
04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Nice Brian! I would have done the same thing! Ok, well as long as noone else does then I won't feel like it anymore. This site is the best tool I have in my opinion. I get bored and just read and read and read and read through all the old posts til I fall asleep every night. You guys are like family! I have 3 older sisters so I'll take everyone's conversation on here all day over that...:D

Belinda Barfield
04-16-2010, 7:30 AM
I'll be the first to raise my hand from the back of the class. :o I rarely "contribute" anything helpful or useful and wonder if folks sometimes ask themselves why I post, or why I'm even a member of this forum. I do try to contribute over on the laser forum but those posts are few and far between because them folks over there are so smart about laserin'!:D I do learn a lot here though, from you and all the other great people that share the fruits of their years of experience. So, post away!!

Rob Cunningham
04-16-2010, 8:17 AM
Joe, that's what forums are all about, exchanging information or just "shooting the breeze"

Prashun Patel
04-16-2010, 8:27 AM
Hello.
My name is Shawn
And I am an SMC Addict

I love this forum and all its posters and lurkers

Sometimes I feel like a poser, answering the same few questions over and over again because that's all I have experience in.

I also like that misleading or incorrect info is quickly vetted out because people will respond to it. That discussion/debate is something I find very useful. Some of my favorites:

Is polyurethane an acceptable finish and can you use it over waxy shellac?
Is the Sawstop worth the price?

Ok, maybe there should be a moratorium on those two...

glenn bradley
04-16-2010, 8:37 AM
Nice Brian! I would have done the same thing! Ok, well as long as noone else does then I won't feel like it anymore.

Oh darn. Just when I was about to explain that we only feel that you post to much. The rest of us are fine :D:D:D.

Seriously, I think everything from the serious "how-to" threads with 20 pics to the one line responses of "nice work" posts all add up to what makes this such a great place to hang out. Keep posting.

Michael MacDonald
04-16-2010, 1:09 PM
I find that I go to post a question, then before I hit submit, I do a search... and the post is no longer unique... at some point, the whole SMC thing will be filled with all the available knowledge that is possible. Then you can move on to the online forums for your other hobbies... knitting, bocce ball, birding, whatever. In the meantime, keep up the good work!

Mike Cruz
04-16-2010, 3:23 PM
Brian, you beat me to it. I was going to do the 3 or 4 posts in a row things, too. Hehe

Bruce Page
04-16-2010, 4:32 PM
How much is too much?

David G Baker
04-16-2010, 5:10 PM
I am the type of person that if I feel that I have something to add to the mix and what I have to write might actually help or possibly enlighten someone I am going to contribute as long as it is on a positive note.

Belinda,
I feel that most of us are glad that you post and on many occasions are greatly entertained by what you have to add to our posts. Keep up with your posts or even add more. I always read your posts if they are on any of the threads that I visit.

Brian Kent
04-16-2010, 5:41 PM
We need Belinda's humor and someday we may need to know something about granite counters. Does that mean we are taking Belinda for granite?

Matt Meiser
04-16-2010, 5:47 PM
someday we may need to know something about granite counters

Already happened (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1337812#post1337812)

David Freed
04-17-2010, 7:30 AM
I'll be the first to raise my hand from the back of the class. :o I rarely "contribute" anything helpful or useful and wonder if folks sometimes ask themselves why I post, or why I'm even a member of this forum. I do try to contribute over on the laser forum but those posts are few and far between because them folks over there are so smart about laserin'!:D I do learn a lot here though, from you and all the other great people that share the fruits of their years of experience. So, post away!!
I have a lousy memory so I don't remember any specific posts of yours at the moment and I also don't read the laser forum, but what does come to mind is that whenever I have read any of your posts they were a pleasant and useful contribution to the conversation at hand. Keep on talking. :D

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2010, 8:32 AM
Well, thanks y'all. Go ahead, take me for granite. I'm as solid as a rock, and I know lots of marbleous things about stone countertops. :rolleyes: (and sinks, too) Actually today I will be supervising the installation of a soapstone wetbar on my deck. Since it's Saturday that means I get to sit back with a tasty beverage and say things like "doesn't look level from here". Of couse that could be because I'm the one with the tasty beverage. :D My SO has a well known lack of patience with unsolicited supervision.

Once the bar is in I might cook up a mess of possum and greens. I did pass a fairly fresh armadillo on the roadside yesterday, but them things are too dang hard to get out of the shell. Did I ever tell y'all about the time I went to a wedding and the groom's cake was in the form of an armadillo . . . and the cake was red velvet ? Pretty tasty once you got past the appearance of a half eaten armadillo. :eek:

Tom Winship
04-17-2010, 8:41 AM
Belinda, you know what armadillo really is, don't you? Possum on the half shell.
Tom

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2010, 8:48 AM
Belinda, you know what armadillo really is, don't you? Possum on the half shell.
Tom

Yeah, one of those southern delicacies.

I have to admit, to the best of my knowledge I have never eaten possum, or armadillo. I've had gator, and goat, and rattlesnake, but I have to draw the line somewhere. My great grandfather was somewhat of a swamper and my great grandmother frequently didn't know what she would be preparing for the evening meal - supper in these parts. No matter what he brought home, she cooked it and the family was well fed. So, it is possible that when I was a wee thing I ate one of above mentioned animals. My grandmother would add a little bit of bourbon to my baby bottle before we started our long drive home, so anything is possible! She claimed it would help me fall asleep, and apparently she was correct.

Ray Bell
04-17-2010, 9:41 AM
Belinda,
Have you ever thought about writing a book. Something along the lines of Patrick McManus, with all of his colorful characters. I enjoy reading your humorous posts.

David G Baker
04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Belinda,
You have a great following.
I was in Georgia during the Christmas holiday and the only road kill I saw was a wild pig that someone had pierced its stomach area with a stake so it wouldn't explode as it decayed.
We have thousands of deer road kills here in Michigan every year. If it is a clean kill the Sheriff's Department will deliver the deer to a deer processing facility and the meat is given to the poor.
We ate raccoon, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant and most water fowl when I was a kid on the farm in lower Michigan.

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Belinda,
Have you ever thought about writing a book. Something along the lines of Patrick McManus, with all of his colorful characters. I enjoy reading your humorous posts.

Ray, I'm happy to have given you a chuckle or two. My friend Linda often says to me, "there's a book in there somewhere . . .". I come from a long line of characters, some would say rather eccentric ones, and a long line of oral story tellers. I know we've drifted way off topic of Joe's original post, but I'll share a little bit about one of my ancestors.

One of my great grandfathers was a notorious drunk and, according to some of his neighbors, an excellent horse thief as well. It was my greatgrandmother's routine to go to town every Saturday. Well, one Saturday morning great grandaddy Lewis was still passed out from the night before and she couldn't wake him, so she had the boys hitch the mules up to the wagon and they headed into town without him. At some point in the afternoon great grandaddy Lewis woke to a great calamity. The house was shaking, plates were falling of the plate rack, knick knacks were crashing to the floor. Finally things settled down and he was convinced that there had been an earthquake. Concerned for his neighbors he ran out to the barn, jumped on his horse, and rode the several miles to the nearest neighboring farm, and then another farm, and then another. Funny thing was, no one else felt the earthquake. Great grandaddy pondered on this during his ride back home and decided that God was sending him a message that he better mend his sinnin' ways. The next week he built a brush arbor and took to preachin'. As soon as possible he built a church and many of my family members attend services at that site to this day.

Then there's the story of Aunt Sinai, who was a witch, but we'll leave that one for another day. I've bored y'all enough. I'm off to Darien to the Blessing of the Fleet festival where I will consume large quantities of fresh shrimp and other gastronomical delights. :)

Brian Kent
04-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, thanks y'all. Go ahead, take me for granite. I'm as solid as a rock, and I know lots of marbleous things about stone countertops. :rolleyes: :

I'll think of some more puns when I'm a little boulder.

Ray Bell
04-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Great story Belinda, can't wait to hear about Aunt Sinie