PDA

View Full Version : Project toy box

Harlan Barnhart
04-15-2010, 9:56 PM
Or how I used up a lot of scrap lying about. Everything here is scrap. The legs are three piece glue ups. The "panels" are thin oak off-cuts from a curved stair-rail glue up. Legs, are several different types of pine, the stretchers are Eastern White Pine, and the lid, Poplar.

I find this type of woodworking to be quite liberating. It's easy to try new things. I "surfaced" the oak panels with a freshly sharpened scrub plane and beveled the edges "by eye", leaving a pleasant wavy feel that offsets the pine.

I tried to make it as pinch free as possible, with space between the lid and the top stretchers on three sides.

It's made with mortise and tenon and the panels are captured in grooves. The lid catches are scrap leather, epoxy and some thin pieces of metal cut from an old hinge. The glue is Patrick's Old Brown glue and the finish is wipe-on danish oil/varnish followed by paste wax.

The new owners seem more interested in using it as a hide-out than a toy box.

Bob Warfield
04-15-2010, 11:27 PM
I really like it! I'm a little partial to making things for youngsters. Sure looks like the girls like it. I especially like that last picture. I reminds me of the old madgicians trick.
Thanks,
Bob Warfield

Rick Erickson
04-16-2010, 12:00 AM
I like it Harlan. Looks great for a lot of scrap. I'm sure it's already filled with toys. Thanks for sharing.

Oh - is your bench inside your house?

Andrew Pitonyak
04-16-2010, 1:32 AM
Very nice indeed!

George Sanders
04-16-2010, 6:42 AM
That is very nice. I built a simple one and it's the first thing the grandkids go for when they come in the house.

Rob Fisher
04-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I love it. Beautiful and great use of materials. I really like the playful nature of it. Perfect for kids.

Rob

Mike Olson
04-16-2010, 3:24 PM
Very nice. Those holes in the front panel are a very nice touch. i'm sure they will try to stuff all their toys through those holes instead of opening the lid.

Harlan Barnhart
04-16-2010, 6:03 PM
Thanks guys.
Rick, not only is my workspace in the apartment, it is also my kitchen/dining room. These NYC apartments are often not so spacious. It makes for a long set up/clean up time and less work time but it is great for family togetherness. Too great.
Peace,
Harlan

Richard Dooling
04-16-2010, 6:55 PM
Too cute and very well thought out. I had to read this twice as "pitch free" resolved itself into "pinch free". Too many bad experiences with pine I guess.:rolleyes:

I never got around to this for my daughter - so now I need to build her a jewelry box! Time flies.