PDA

View Full Version : Bois d' Arc Rocker

Cody Colston
04-15-2010, 9:04 PM
I've had this rocker completed since late February but haven't had time to get pictures taken. It's a Hal Taylor design (his old design) and was a commissioned piece. It's Bois d' Arc (Osage Orange) and finished with a coat of BLO followed by four coats of wipe-on Poly.

jim sauterer
04-15-2010, 9:06 PM
looks great cody.nice job.i am sure it will be admired by the customer.

Mike Hicks
04-15-2010, 9:38 PM
Looks great over here also, Cody....lol. Nice Job!

Baxter Smith
04-15-2010, 9:41 PM
I admire anyone who can do something like this! Looks great!

Jim Becker
04-15-2010, 10:09 PM
That's really a sharp piece! Wow. Nice!

BTW, be sure your customer understands that the color will change quite noticeably as Osage Orange turns quite brown with oxidation and UV exposure.

gary Zimmel
04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Sweet looking rocker!
Well done Cody, very well done...

Roy Wall
04-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Nice form and boy........that is going to age nicely!! Excellent!

George Sanders
04-16-2010, 6:49 AM
Astounding, considering that you used the densest wood on the North American continent! I thought I did good using osage orange for the runners on my cut off sled. You are amazing.

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 7:45 AM
Cody, this one really turned out well. The osage will mellow out over the years to a nice brown color. It sure made a striking piece! Nice work!

John Thompson
04-16-2010, 9:39 AM
Simply an outstanding job Cody. Another Kudo as George mentioned for the use of the OO as that stuff ranks up there with lignum vitae and black locust in density. Did ya have to sharpen a blade a time or two during the project? :)

Extremely well done in my eyes...

Terry Hatfield
04-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Dude!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome, Cody!!! What a fantastic piece of work that is!

Terry Beadle
04-16-2010, 2:13 PM
+1 on the well done !

Van Huskey
04-16-2010, 8:22 PM
I love it and especially the off set placement of the knot!

Richard M. Wolfe
04-16-2010, 9:05 PM
Great work, Cody. Now you can use the income from the piece to replace/sharpen bits and blades. ;)

Cody Colston
04-16-2010, 9:11 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Jim, I informed the client about the color change prior to starting the build. He still wanted the Bois d' Arc after I showed him some turned pieces of various woods.

John T., the Bois d' Arc cut fine but routing is another story. It's so brittle that I had to climb cut all the routing passes. Conventional routing, either with or against the grain, produced some horrible tearout...I could hear it while routing.

I've turned many pieces of Bois d' Arc but I'm not eager to use it on a large flatwork piece again.

Edit In: The wood was custom cut and kiln dried by M&G Sawmill in Huntsville. Anybody within driving distance should check them out. Fine people and a fine product.

Vince Shriver
04-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Cody, the chair is way cool - terrific job.

David Gendron
04-17-2010, 7:29 PM
Great work indeed! I would love to put my hands on some of that wood! Maybe one day! This is a good looking rocker!

Tom Winship
04-17-2010, 7:49 PM
Cody, M&G is actually close to me (less than 50 miles). Have you had experience with their mesquite?
Tom

Meant to say what a great job also!

Danny Hamsley
04-17-2010, 8:32 PM
Simply awesome!

Cody Colston
04-17-2010, 9:08 PM
Cody, M&G is actually close to me (less than 50 miles). Have you had experience with their mesquite?
Tom

Meant to say what a great job also!

Tom, M&G may have the finest Mesquite lumber in Texas. According to their site, they hand pick the trees from the banks of the Frio River in South Texas. I've been there when a large batch came out of the kiln and I was amazed at the quality.

My dining table is made from M&G Mesquite and I have some clear 8/4 planks in my shop that I got from them a couple or three years ago.

Mesquite is not inexpensive, especially clear boards over 5 ft. in length. However, it's a great working wood, extremely stable and beautiful when finished. Burl figure is almost a given in much of it.

Check with Michael via e-mail to see what he has available right now. If he doesn't have any ready to sell, he can give you a pretty good estimate when the next batch will come out of the kiln.

Thanks for the comments on the rocker.

Rusty Elam
04-17-2010, 9:48 PM
+1 on the Mesquite from M & G, I have also got some great turning stock of it. Great people.
By the way Cody, not bad for a horse apple tree;)
Growing up around here who would of ever thought we would be "buying" Bois D Arc
Rusty

Cody Colston
04-17-2010, 10:11 PM
+1 on the Mesquite from M & G, I have also got some great turning stock of it. Great people.
By the way Cody, not bad for a horse apple tree;)
Growing up around here who would of ever thought we would be "buying" Bois D Arc
Rusty

I never thought I would be buying Bois d' Arc lumber. I did sell some Mesquite fence posts when I was a teenager. Me and a buddy had a ready source and were getting 65 cents for a 7' post, 3" diameter and up. The problem was that we didn't have a chain saw. We were cutting the posts with an axe. We didn't make a lot of money. :(