PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Tslots on a tablesaw

Robert Mayer
11-14-2004, 4:36 PM
Are there mainly two sizes of these slots? I have a horrible craftsman tablesaw right now with an aluminum top. Of course it has those small slots cut into it. Are all the slots on the nicer saws with a cast iron top the same size?

Bart Leetch
11-14-2004, 4:40 PM
Most of the smaller aluminum topped saws slots are not even in the same league with the cast iron topped contractors-saws or cabinet-saws.

Robert Mayer
11-14-2004, 4:54 PM
Most of the smaller aluminum topped saws slots are not even in the same league with the cast iron topped contractors-saws or cabinet-saws.

But do all the nice iron topped saws have the same size mitered Tslots? Im currently shopping for a new saw and didnt want to but a $500+ saw with an iron top only to find it has a weird size slot.

Carole Valentine
11-14-2004, 5:01 PM
If it's a Craftsman saw you are looking at, better check. They seem to be famous for proprietary stuff, but maybe they have mended their ways. The "standard" slot accepts a 3/4"x3/8" bar.

Bart Leetch
11-14-2004, 5:03 PM
I'm not sure about Sears saws but I think most of the major contenders such as Powermatic, Delta, General, Jet & Grizzly all have a 3/8" deep x 3/4" wide miter slot.

Andy Haney
11-14-2004, 5:23 PM
Please check your private messages on this subject.

Andy

mike lucas
11-14-2004, 10:18 PM
The Powermatic PM66 has the inverted T slot, the rectangle part of the slot is the standard 3/8" by 3/4". Then at the bottom there is an extra wide area forming the inverted T. This makes using the miter gauge with wide panels much more controlable.

I do not know anything about the saw you have, but I can tell you that if the miter slot on the Powermatic is different then the one on your Craftsman table saw, that it is not the Powermatic with the weird size slot.:eek:

Bob Worrel Jr.
11-15-2004, 6:08 AM
I was looking at a Woodtek Table saw (http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/search.exe?BP=1). It's a right tilt and looks like you get a lot of saw for the money. But I heard in a customer review that the slots weren't 3/4 x 3/8. So I kinda excluded that saw from my list. Anyone heard anything about this saw?