PDA

View Full Version : The Segmented Pen That Wasn't

James Combs
04-15-2010, 8:10 PM
This is my first attempt at a segmented pen using a divider material.:D As you can see it turned out decent but certainly not segmented.:confused: I believe I cut my cross slots in the wrong direction making the divider material look more like an inlay and if anyone asks inlay was my intention.:rolleyes:

Wood is Walnut with an initial CA finished then polished with hut crystal coat and pen wax (the stick). The "inlay" is the thin white covering from old piano keys aka "ivory".

Richard Madison
04-15-2010, 8:16 PM
James, I rarely even look at the pens, but your title got my attention and I like this one. The "inlay" is just enough to make it special.

Roland Martin
04-15-2010, 8:39 PM
Very nice "inlay" work James. Seriously, this is a good looking pen.

David E Keller
04-15-2010, 8:45 PM
It looks nice even if it wasn't what you pictured in your head. Very classy!

Brian Greb
04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Very nice oops!:D I've done the exact same thing... I also used the "inlay" story as a cover up.:rolleyes:

But seriously nice pen.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2010, 10:17 PM
That is a good looking pen James. Nice inlay.

Baxter Smith
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
That is a nice touch!

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 6:55 AM
JD, looks like you lucked into this one. I think this may have turned out better than you first planned - nice look! The ivory has a blue cast in the pic (at least on my computer) and I wonder if that is the lighting or the effect of the finish - or the computer I am on at the moment? Even so, I kind of like it!

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2010, 7:29 AM
Very nice design James! The inlay story works for me!

Montgomery Scott
04-16-2010, 9:35 AM
The shape of the pen is quite unappealing, but the inlay is slick.

James Combs
04-16-2010, 2:48 PM
JD, looks like you lucked into this one. I think this may have turned out better than you first planned - nice look! The ivory has a blue cast in the pic (at least on my computer) and I wonder if that is the lighting or the effect of the finish - or the computer I am on at the moment? Even so, I kind of like it!

I'm not sure about the blue tint. I can see it on my screen also. I just went and looked at the pen in a day lit window and if I squint just right there maybe be a blue tinge there as well. I think it maybe the translucence of the "ivory" material, kinda like thin mother of pearl looks bluish if you have something dark behind it. :confused:

Richard Madison
04-16-2010, 8:09 PM
James, the white balance of your photo is off a bit (assuming the background is also white), and probably a little underexposed as well, hence the blue cast to what is supposed to be white.

James Combs
04-16-2010, 9:30 PM
James, the white balance of your photo is off a bit (assuming the background is also white), and probably a little underexposed as well, hence the blue cast to what is supposed to be white.

I am not saying there is no blue in the photo because I can see it my self but the background is actually a gray gradient that I printed from my color printer on 8.5x11 matte white card stock. It came out with a tinge of purple to the gray. Blue in the photo it is probably coming from the ambient light of the overhead fluorescent shop lights. I am not shielding them from the front of the light tent. The white balance on the camera is set for the tent lights. I have a large white sheet to block outside light but I get lazy sometimes and don't use it:rolleyes:

James Combs
04-16-2010, 9:35 PM
The shape of the pen is quite unappealing, but the inlay is slick.

I like the pen but it is definitely not my favorite BUT :D the LOML saw it and I never got it back again :rolleyes: so apparently it has more appeal then we think. She took it to the gym with her and I now have an order for another... go figure.

Keith Burns
04-16-2010, 9:52 PM
James, I really like your "mistake". The design is simple and elegant and adds just the right wow factor.

Brian Effinger
04-16-2010, 9:58 PM
It may not have been what you intended, but it is still really cool.

Richard Madison
04-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I am not saying there is no blue in the photo because I can see it my self but the background is actually a gray gradient that I printed from my color printer on 8.5x11 matte white card stock. It came out with a tinge of purple to the gray. Blue in the photo it is probably coming from the ambient light of the overhead fluorescent shop lights. I am not shielding them from the front of the light tent. The white balance on the camera is set for the tent lights. I have a large white sheet to block outside light but I get lazy sometimes and don't use it:rolleyes:

Fluorescents will do that if set for something else. Might be interesting to print your background card using black ink only. I shoot under ordinary shop fluorescents, but use a white balance preset feature. Even so my camera tends to underexpose a bit which adds a hint of blue to the background.