PDA

View Full Version : The cutting of a crotch

Donny Lawson
04-15-2010, 5:38 PM
I have been collecting some crotch wood for a few days since I heard it was good to turn.Now that I have it what is the proper way to slice it up?Most of these are about 5-6" diameter.Snice these are small is it necessary to remove the pith?
Donny

Nathan Hawkes
04-15-2010, 6:13 PM
Donny, you're aiming to make two perfect crotches, through the pith of each. The easiest way is to prop it on either side log of the crotch, between two other pieces of wood. If the forks have well centered piths, it should be relatively easy to try and center your cut. If you're lucky, the chainsaw kerf will end up right through the pith. This type of cut is where a sharp chain and careful planning are key! Good luck, and saw safely!

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2010, 6:50 PM
Yup - done right and you can have matching winged bowls!

Understand that removing the pith has nothing to do the size of the wood. If you leave the pith in the blank - chances are it will crack! If you plan on turning the blank really soon - leave it in and turn it away!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of the crotch pieces!

Donny Lawson
04-15-2010, 9:21 PM
I brought home an Oak Crotch today that was freashly cut and I just cut the bark off of each side.I then took it to the bandsaw after making my bowl blank circle on it and cut it out.It's about 4" thick now.I sealed it up with anchorseal to turn later.Will it still need to be split down the middle to remove the pith? If so it won't be but about 1 1/2- 2 inches thick.The circle is about 6 1/2 inches or so. What do you think?
Donny

Baxter Smith
04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Donny, when I first tried a winged bowl I used a piece that wasn't much thicker than that to make a winged crotch bowl. You could use a glue block on the base to save as much wood as possible. Did several out of apple. I finish turned one and rough turned a couple of others. They all warped a lot. No way I could finish turn the rough ones with the amount of warping they have done.

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 6:45 AM
I brought home an Oak Crotch today that was freashly cut and I just cut the bark off of each side.I then took it to the bandsaw after making my bowl blank circle on it and cut it out.It's about 4" thick now.I sealed it up with anchorseal to turn later.Will it still need to be split down the middle to remove the pith? If so it won't be but about 1 1/2- 2 inches thick.The circle is about 6 1/2 inches or so. What do you think?
DonnyDonny, sounds like you still have the pith running through the middle of your "round"?? If that is correct, then you may well have some difficulty with the cracking problem others have mentioned. While I have not done any winged bowls, most I have seen are not deep bowls. Sounds like you should do as you are saying, and split it down the middle. 2" should still give you an interesting looking piece.