PDA

View Full Version : Time for another gloat!

Andrew Gibson
04-15-2010, 5:23 PM
A couple weeks ago now I guess I received a PM from one of our resident tool guru's giving me a heads up of a Stanly 42x saw set on eBay that was mislabeled. Needless to say I bid and one the set for the minimum bid price, I think it as about $10... $18 with shipping. So it arrived a few days ago and is in very nice shape, and sure beats the $50 to $150 that some of the 42x go for.

It should be getting a good workout as I just ordered 4 Wenzloff saw kits that I will be filing and setting, and making the handles for. It should be an interesting journey.

My Fiance has the Camera hidden somewhere so Pics will have to wait until I can find out where it is.

Moral of the story, Participate in the best woodworking forum around, make e-friends, and scavenge e-bay for deals, and when you get the chance send a deal along to someone else.

Tim McEneany
04-16-2010, 8:52 PM
That's great! I keep getting way outbid on the 42x.

Jim Koepke
04-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Andrew,

Nice gloat. Almost deserves a you scoundrel!:D

That's great! I keep getting way outbid on the 42x.

Tim,

Welcome to the world of I want one of those frustration of the saw set seekers society.

One of the things I have found with ebay is there are many things that people have no idea what they are. I find the same in antique shops.

So people will list a saw set as a pair of pliers or an iron or steel tool. Sometimes you find deals in things spelled wrong, like Stanely. Be careful though, some will misspell the name hoping people will jump on it. Know what you are looking for and what you are looking at.

If you do not mind getting email everyday, you can set up a search on ebay and see almost every pair of pliers that gets listed. There will be saw sets listed. Eventually one may be a 42X. Often, the email will tell you there are 45 new listing but only show 20. Then you have to click on see all results...

The other thing is to look at saw sets and learn the difference between the 42 variants. I think there is one that is labeled as a 42 that actually is a 42X. Often they are listed as just a saw set. When you find the ones that all the other bidders miss, you get lucky by not having competition.

Pliers may be a bad example as there are about 20,000 of them listed.
Another bad example is this one, item 220589787888 It has what looks like a nail for a rivet where there should be a screw.

Have fun,

jim

Andrew Gibson
04-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Listen to Jim, the man knows how to use the force when it comes to eBay.

Andrew Gibson
04-21-2010, 1:43 PM
So after much searching I finally found the camera. they really should make these things hnad crank as every time I find it, it is dead.

Anyway here are the pics of my new 42x...
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/handyandy3459/portfolio/100_0731.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/handyandy3459/portfolio/100_0732.jpg

David Weaver
04-21-2010, 2:02 PM
Good deal. hold on to it.

I've bought two off of another forum's S&S, both were $35 shipped.

In the theme of the discussion yesterday about where to sell stuff, there could also be a "where to buy stuff".

If you're buying a 42x, getting one properly labeled off of ebay is not the way to do it.

I only bought two of them myself because I thought I had a fine-tooth somax sawset, too, and sold the first one, and then realized I needed to "rebuy" when I realized my somax sawset was not what I thought it was.

It's a nice tool, one of the few "it" tools that's worth the ask.

I think I'm leaning toward hammer setting small saws, though - I never set saws far enough I'd threaten hammering off a tooth and I'd rather not have to fool with a sawset at all.

Jim Koepke
04-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Here is an example of an improperly listed saw set.

Ebay item #380226456850 is listed as:

CAST IRON STANLEY TOOL PUNCH NOT SURE EXPERTS LOOK!!!

This is not the desired 42X, but it could have been.

If you have a wide net search looking for Stanley and any other words like iron or punch, this would have shown up.

Of course if your search is for Stanley 42X saw set, this would not have been included in the finds for the day.

One of the strangest is seeing a bevel gauge labeled as a straight razor.

Happy hunting,

jim