PDA

View Full Version : Original style pen?

Brian Greb
04-15-2010, 4:48 PM
I was messing around with the concept of turning my own center band on a pen and this is the fruits of my labor. The woods are holly, maple, and purple-heart... The center band is brass and aluminium, the kit was a slimline. The genesis of the shape is the paper-mate fat boy pens.

Thanks for looking C&C are as always welcome.
Brian

Roland Martin
04-15-2010, 5:02 PM
Very creative Brian. I've never come anywhere near that quality with a Slimline kit. Very very well done!

David E Keller
04-15-2010, 5:21 PM
I may have to try this... I love beefy pens. I like this one a lot.

How did you go about making the center band?

Donny Lawson
04-15-2010, 5:22 PM
Nice looking pen. where did you find a larger center band?
Donny

Brian Greb
04-15-2010, 5:37 PM
How did you go about making the center band?

Nice looking pen. where did you find a larger center band?
Donny

David & Donny,
This was a proof of concept piece so i just took some 3/4"X 1/8" aluminum bar and some 3/4" X 3/32" brass bar, and glued up a sandwich (I used CA). Then I drilled a 1/4" hole centered, and turned it with the blanks.
If and when I do this again I think I'm going to try braising the metal together, or use epoxy instead of CA.
But my next experiment will be with copper, brass, and aluminium... with my gears spinning now should be some cool stuff.

James Combs
04-15-2010, 8:05 PM
... If and when I do this again I think I'm going to try braising the metal together, or use epoxy instead of CA...

Do you have a particular reason for using epox over CA?? What were your problems with CA?

Very nice pen by the way.:)

Frank Van Atta
04-15-2010, 8:19 PM
Great pen; very creative.

Brian Greb
04-15-2010, 9:54 PM
Do you have a particular reason for using epox over CA?? What were your problems with CA?

Very nice pen by the way.:)

The only issue I have with the CA is that the layers of metal wanted to seperate, probably because I was in a rush. You live you learn right... I think that brazing would make a stronger joint.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Nice looking pen Brian.

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 6:59 AM
Brian, neat concept on several levels. I really like the wood application/orientation, and, of course, the center band treatment. I suspect this new medium will give you lots of ideas!!

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2010, 7:32 AM
Very nice looking pen Brian! Excellent job on sizing all the components! Looking forward to seeing your next original!