PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Engravers

Paul Clay2
04-15-2010, 4:48 PM
Hey,
Just wanted to know if we have any engravers in Las Vegas, NV.

Kenneth Hertzog
04-16-2010, 7:08 AM
Paul

is this where you needed the round discs? :D
will help if needed but i'm on the other end
of the needed area:cool:

Ken

Paul Clay2
04-16-2010, 7:43 AM
Hi Kenneth,

Yes.. I got a great deal on them thanks to mike. Next, I'm going to need a laser engraver... Although, I am looking into maybe buying a hot stamping machine. I'm looking for black filled lettering. I was thinking maybe laser etching and filling in with some type of paint.

Kenneth Hertzog
04-16-2010, 7:54 AM
Paul
currently doing that job for another company
masking, etching and paint instead of screen print.
Ken

Paul Clay2
04-16-2010, 7:59 AM
Ken,
Is that on acrylic? I don't know much about any of this but this forum is teaching me a lot already. Please bare with me if you would.... What's masking? and what's screen print?

Kenneth Hertzog
04-16-2010, 8:07 AM
Paul
Yes it is acrylic and the mask is a low tac tape which allows you to etch thru and paint the etching and peal off with ease.
screen print is a machine set up to do the same item over and over.
but the results are better with masking and etching. just takes more time and effort.
ken

Paul Clay2
04-16-2010, 8:13 AM
Ken,
Ahh yes... I've heard of the masking thing. Does the screen printing only print on top of the acrylic? Or does it actually etch or melt the letters/logo into the acrylic?

Kenneth Hertzog
04-16-2010, 8:23 AM
Paul
it only paints on top
no etching done of any type.
ken

Paul Clay2
04-16-2010, 8:30 AM
Ken,
Ah ok.. So that's out of the picture for me. And hotstamping acrylic might be out also, as I'm looking for a way to put a black recessed logo into my acrylic. I'm unsure if hotstamping can actually go something like 1/32" into the acrylic. Most stamps I've seen have raised lettering you can feel when you touch it. Do you know if it's possible to hot stamp deeper?

Kenneth Hertzog
04-16-2010, 8:43 AM
Paul

I never done anything with hot stamp
sorry

Ken

Paul Clay2
04-16-2010, 8:54 AM
Ken,
Oh that's cool. Thanks for the other info though. I'm waiting for a response from a hot stamp machine refurbisher. It seems that I can get a decent old-school hot stamper with everything I need (foil, custom die, die attachment), for less than $450. If it can handle stamping Into acrylic how I want... I would almost definitely buy it and let you know what it's all about. I hope it can do the job... I'm pretty anxious to see what he says.

Mike Null
04-16-2010, 1:44 PM
Paul

You can use companies like Johnson Plastics and JDS to do hot stamping.

Please have a look at the TOS for Sawmill Creek particularly regarding advertising.

Paul Clay2
04-16-2010, 1:56 PM
Mike,
Thanks. I'm going to check those stampers right now. I tried not to advertise by not stating the source. Did I say too much though?

Bill Cunningham
04-18-2010, 8:02 PM
Hot stamping is not really supposed go 'into' the plastic. It's more for going 'onto' the plastic. I suppose you could crank the heat way up and melt it in but the foil may or may not stick at those temperatures unless it's a special foil. Foils are meant to work with-in a specific temperature range, usually 125-250 F with a fairly short dwell time for plastics. I have no doubt that you could melt the logo into the surface, but there will be a ridge left around the melted areas, the plastic has to go somewhere..