PDA

View Full Version : Log Splitters

Mike Archambeau
04-15-2010, 3:51 PM
Any log splitter owners out there that really like their splitter? Would be interested in hearing from people who have 3 point hitch splitters that they use on their tractors, as well as stand alone gasoline powered units. I am a homeowner that does recreational burning, not trying to run a firewood production company.

Thoughts and opinions?

John Pratt
04-15-2010, 4:09 PM
I picked up the Troybilt stand alone, 27-ton unit in Feb, and so far it split 7 cord of firewood without problem. Not cheap but works for me.

Bob Borzelleri
04-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Any log splitter owners out there that really like their splitter? Would be interested in hearing from people who have 3 point hitch splitters that they use on their tractors, as well as stand alone gasoline powered units. I am a homeowner that does recreational burning, not trying to run a firewood production company.

Thoughts and opinions?

Sitting here trying to envision "recreational burning". In a former live I works with kids who set fires. One of them told be it was his form of recreation.;)

Barry Rhoads
04-20-2010, 9:40 AM
I have used both. I never liked having to wrestle the sticks of wood up on a three point hitch model. I bought an MTD 22 ton splitter from Home Depot on clearance for $500 17 years ago. It has split an average of of 20 ricks per year since and has never missed a beat. It gets used!

Brent Gamble
04-20-2010, 1:31 PM
I have a 20 something ton model I bought at Northern Tool 18 or 19 yrs ago. It gets moderate use. I like it a lot, you can either use it horizontally or the rail pivots up to allow vertical use. It has a gas engine, I think it's 5 hp.

robert stover
04-23-2010, 9:11 AM
Built my own 3-point mounted splitter, has self contained hydraulic system with PTO mounted pump. I prefer to have fewer small engines to maintain.

Mike Cruz
04-23-2010, 9:44 AM
I've been wondering about the one from (I think it was from Northern Tool) Northern tool that can split in both directions! Seems like it would quicken the job, of course you would have to lift your logs because it doesn't pivot to the vertical position...