PDA

View Full Version : Whole lotta wood

Michael Stafford
11-14-2004, 3:05 PM
I was reading one of Ray Key's turning books and he was talking about the wood he used. He said he used northern temperate hardwoods and some tropical exotic hardwoods. Okay so do I.

Then he went on to say he uses about 3600 board feet of northern temperate hardwoods annually but only 180 board feet of exotic hardwoods. :eek:

3600 board feet :eek: , 180 board feet :eek: , I do not dispute what he says but that is an enormous amount of wood is it not? I may not have that many board feet of lumber in my house.

I have turned a few pieces :o and the amount of shavings left from turning bowls and boxes far outweighs the weight of the finished product. Can you imagine the compost pile this man must have. Just getting rid of the shavings would be a full time enterprise. :eek:

If I was capable of the beautiful work this man is capable of I guess I would be turning more than 3000 board feet of wood a year also. Gives you a whole new perspective on the skill and speed of these great wood turners. :)