Can anyone give a couple of sources for ebony pegs? Thanks Barry

Quinn McCarthy
04-15-2010, 1:43 PM
What style?

Like shaker?

Quinn

Prashun Patel
04-15-2010, 2:09 PM
If yr not married to paying $3-5 per peg - which is what ebony'd probably cost...

You can make faux pegs by ebonizing oak pegs - which are cheap, strong, and widely available.
You can either dye them jet black with an aniline dye,
stain them with black pigment stain,
dye them with india ink,
or get funky wit ya chemistry and soak some steel wool in vinegar for a day, and then paint the witchybrew on the pegs and watch stinky magic happen.

Come to think of it, I think violin supply places probably have ebony pegs, but you wouldn't hang stuff from them.

Ethan Sincox
04-15-2010, 2:28 PM
Or you can always buy a block of ebony and rip your own pegs out of it. If you want round pegs, then rip and turn.

If you just want wooden pegs that are very dark in color, I wouldn't limit yourself to ebony, though. Try looking for Blackwood or maybe you could even use a darker rosewood.

I recently picked up several blocks (say 1.5" thick x 6" wide x 9-12" long) of blackwood for just that purpose for $8-$10 each. They should last a very long time...

Michael Flores
04-15-2010, 2:29 PM
Use LOGWOOD EXTRACT on walnut. Works well on maple too but since maple doesn't have the tannin's like walnut does, it will take about ten coats to get the maple to look exactly like ebony. I like this approach cause since its a chemical dye, it makes the wood look like it was grown like that and not masked over.

Greg Portland
04-15-2010, 2:34 PM
Or you can always buy a block of ebony and rip your own pegs out of it. If you want round pegs, then rip and turn.+1. Use a sharp chisel to make the 'points' if you're going for that style. I'm not sure you even need to turn the pegs... just knock the corners down with a handplane, shave, or sandpaper.

Kent A Bathurst
04-15-2010, 2:39 PM
1 bf of Gabon or Madagascar ebony + bandsaw & block plane for A+C and G+G style. Lasts a long time, if you are just making pegs. Still lasts a good while if you also use it for decorative butterfly keys.

george wilson
04-15-2010, 3:00 PM
If you do dye the pegs,be careful to not get the project wet for sanding,or some other reason. Also,some finishes,like shellac will cause some dyes to bleed,and you won't be able to sand it out. I'd try India ink,then test the finish over an installed peg to see if it will bleed color. Make certain that the ink is truly dry.

Thomas S Stockton
04-15-2010, 3:02 PM
I've never seen them for sale but they are easy to make. If you don't want to pay for ebony wenge is not that bad a choice. I would rather use a dark wood than stain them or use a chemical treatment. A $20 piece of ebony is more than enough to make all the pegs and other detail pieces for a nice size Greene and Greene piece.
I can't post a link because of forum rules but go over to woodcentral and look in their article section and you will find instructions I wrote up on how to make pegs.
Tom

Bruce Page
04-15-2010, 3:09 PM
I used ironwood for my pegs. I like the color over ebony.

Prashun Patel
04-15-2010, 3:14 PM
If yr trying to a G&G type peg like Bruce's showing, I read an article in - i think Wood Magazine - in the last couple months...there's a company that makes faux ebony pegs preshaped...

Ethan Sincox
04-15-2010, 4:26 PM
+1. Use a sharp chisel to make the 'points' if you're going for that style. I'm not sure you even need to turn the pegs... just knock the corners down with a handplane, shave, or sandpaper.

If you want a softer look, then rip the wood into the square sticks the thickness and width you want, but keep them long.

Take one end of the blackwood (I'm saying blackwood because that's what I use and I don't like change) stick, put it end-down on a piece of 120 grit sandpaper and move it around in a circular motion, concentrating on taking off the edges. Creates a nice pillow effect.

Then you just cut the peg off at the length you want. Re-pillow the new end, rinse and repeat ad nauseam.

richard poitras
04-15-2010, 6:52 PM
Shawn are you talking about the ones that Fast Cap makes if so they are plastic .. If I am not mistaken. Also if it’s a different company please forward the information I would be interested knowing.

Thanks Richard

glenn bradley
04-15-2010, 7:50 PM
If you're after the G&G style pegs, use Darrell Peart's jig.

Barry wines
04-16-2010, 9:56 AM
Thanks
I am making a greene&greene blanket chest and your responses have given me several options to persue. Barry

Kent A Bathurst
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
If you're after the G&G style pegs, use Darrell Peart's jig.

Or - use marking gauge around all 4 sides, and go get 'em with Mr. Block Plane - seconds per peg. It is really easy to get them to come out even and consistent. Of course, I am about 7 lifetimes away from matching Darrell's skill level - but any minor variations are "seeable" only to me in the finished project.

Jim Rimmer
04-16-2010, 2:02 PM
Check out the Wood Whisperer. He's got a video on right now about making them. He also references Peart's jig in the video.

Dave Avery
04-16-2010, 8:55 PM
Start with pen blanks..... a much less expensive way to get there....