PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat Gone Amok

Hilel Salomon
04-15-2010, 1:14 PM
I have learned now the pitfalls of boasting about a wood acquisition. About half a year ago, at my Virginia Woodturners club (CVA) meeting, I bid on four smallish limbs which came out of Monticello (Jefferson's place). I decided to make some boxes out of them and told my daughter that I would make one each for my grand daughters, referring to them as "my little girls." My daughter then told me "You have five 'little girls,' Dad." Within seconds, I had realized my mistake. Then compounding it, I told my wife the story, and she gave me a look... Ok 6 "little girls." I wound up telling my daughters-in-law, my sister, her daughters. Now, I had to find a way to get at least 8 more pieces. I begged and bought some more. My wife has claimed a few so.... but no more.

Here, in two sections are the pieces. The workmanship is marginal---- I'm a hack, but the history behind them makes them special

Hilel

Hilel Salomon
04-15-2010, 1:15 PM
Here are the others:

Hilel

David E Keller
04-15-2010, 1:21 PM
Neat story and nice looking boxes... I'd never considered the inherent dangers in wood gloats until now. :D

Aaron Wingert
04-15-2010, 2:10 PM
You may be a hack photographer :D, but there's nothing hackish about your turnings Hilel! Rare is the occasion that we get to turn wood with a cool story like that...That's really neat.

What are the materials?

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2010, 2:13 PM
Hilel - great story!

Glad you were able to get enough wood to complete your commitments! Good looking boxes - I am sure all the girls are happy with their little piece of history!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Ray Bell
04-15-2010, 3:00 PM
Nice story Hilel, they should all be proud of the history, but you didn't buy these from a German by the name of Hardy Rodenstock did you;)

Roland Martin
04-15-2010, 4:58 PM
Nice story & nice work Hilel.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Those are really nice turnings Hilel and great story. Wonder if they came off the front tree or the big one in the rear?

Norm Zax
04-16-2010, 12:30 AM
They look comfy on that sofa. Well done.

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 6:29 AM
Neat story, Hilel, and some great history behind that wood! And, you did some good work on the turnings - I like the varied shapes.

Hilel Salomon
04-16-2010, 8:03 AM
Nice story Hilel, they should all be proud of the history, but you didn't buy these from a German by the name of Hardy Rodenstock did you;)

No Ray,

The truth is that I would never put these up for sale. I got the pieces directly and indirectly from Fred Williamson. Some of my friends took pity on my predicament and re sold the ones that they had bought.

Regards, Hilel.

Ray Bell
04-16-2010, 9:28 AM
No Ray,

The truth is that I would never put these up for sale. I got the pieces directly and indirectly from Fred Williamson. Some of my friends took pity on my predicament and re sold the ones that they had bought.

Regards, Hilel.

Hilel, that was just a bad joke. Are you familiar with Rodenstock and the (probable) Jefferson wine fraud?

These are wonderful turnings that will be treasured by your family. You done good!

Robert McGowen
04-16-2010, 9:35 AM
That is a neat story to go with the turnings. You do have to be careful who you tell this to though!

(P.S. I would use a darker colored couch for a background. ;)
It will show your turnings much better. :D)