PDA

View Full Version : scroll saw vs band saw

scott vroom
04-15-2010, 1:12 PM
I'm making a teak mirror frame for a bathroom vanity area. The top rail will be slightly curved (think torri gate). I own neither a band saw or scroll saw and was considering using my Porter Cable hand held jig saw to make the cut. I'm guessing this would leave a ragged cut that would require lots of sanding. I'm now asking myself if this is a good time to invest in a band saw or scroll saw. I buy dimensional lumber so don't have a need to resaw (this could change I suppose). I don't do any crafts stuff (toys, etc.) so don't need really tight curved cuts (but might want to make a furniture piece some day that requires a tight curve). I've read that the band saw is preferred if you're making long cuts through thick or hard stock...such as 4/4/teak. Not sure if this is true.

This is probably a common decision for woodworkers. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Brian Kincaid
04-15-2010, 1:40 PM
Scott, how thick is the wood you need to cut the curve on?

<1/2-3/4" is in scroll saw territory, but check the clearance of the throat, the swing of the saw will determine the stock thickness
<1 or 1.5" you could do with a jigsaw. I have the borg Bosch blades on mine and they leave a very smooth cut
Bandsaw can handle any depth up to resaw height with the right blade

These are approximate stock thicknesses based on the tools I have used. Out of all the tools listed I get the cleanest cut with the jigsaw.

-Brian

Eric Gustafson
04-15-2010, 1:44 PM
A band saw is best for this cut, but any of these tools is going to leave an edge that needs sanding. You might consider making a template out of hardboard. Then cut your form a little bigger, use double sided tape and flush cut with a router. That will give you a finish much easier to sand.

Chris Padilla
04-15-2010, 2:16 PM
A bandsaw is one of the Big Four that you'll typically find in a shop so its uses are vast. 14" ones can be had for under $500 and serve you well for many years.

Prashun Patel
04-15-2010, 2:22 PM
If you have a router, then you can jigsaw cut a template out of 1/4 hardboard, and then sand it true by hand. Then you rough cut the actual stock close to the line with a jig saw (beware of blade leaning). Then you mount the template to the stock and use a pattern or flush trim bit to true up the edge.

Also, consider getting a 2" sanding drum attachment for a drill press (if you have a drill press). Sanding long gradual curves is something that does pretty well for $15.

Don Jarvie
04-15-2010, 2:28 PM
Invest in a bandsaw. I you don't need to worry about resawing get a 10 or 12 inch bench top model.

A jig saw is good but the blade can flex in hard wood and you can end up with a 85 degree curve you have to sand out.

Robert Parrish
04-15-2010, 2:41 PM
I have both and today I used both to cut the same piece (31" x 3"x 3/8"). I used the bandsaw (14") to cut what I could and the scroll saw to do the rest. I prefer to use my bandsaw as it cuts straighter and can cut thicker wood but there are times when only a scroll will due (inside cuts). Each tool leaves an edge that need sanding.

Troy Turner
04-15-2010, 2:55 PM
Invest in a bandsaw. You'll be suprised how much it takes over your tablesaw. I've got a older Craftsman 12" and once it got tuned up, it is NICE!!! I find myself making cuts with it that I could do on the table saw, but there's less waste and not as dusty.

Oh, as far as what you are doing, I'd go with bandsaw. I think of scroll saw for arts and crafts stuff.

Dave Lehnert
04-15-2010, 3:14 PM
If you buy a quality scroll saw like the DeWalt and use the right blade it will cut glass smooth. No sanding needed.

Kent Cartwright
04-15-2010, 3:28 PM
I started with the DeWalt scroll saw and managed to get through many operations that could/should have been done on a bandsaw better, but was doable on the scroll saw. Since then, I have added a bandsaw and am very happy to do so, but still find cuts that I only feel safe doing on the scroll saw.

scott vroom
04-15-2010, 3:55 PM
I'm looking at Grizzly G0555, G0555x, and several of their 17" models. Seems a 14" model would be adequate for cabinet/furniture making, but for a few dollars more could afford one of the 17" models. Is 17" overkill for my applications?

Michael Arruda
04-15-2010, 4:18 PM
Scott,

It really is a question of floor space and money. Can you afford the floor space and added cost of a larger tool? If so, go for it. Always get the largest you can afford/ find room for is my philosophy when it comes to saws and stationary sanders. You can always make smaller cuts on a larger saw, but you can't add capacity to a smaller tool- riser blocks and the like not withstanding.

I have a 14" Delta BS that is great. Some day I'd like a 20", but for now, the 14" works fine. I also have a 32" that I've never gotten around to restoring- it's just taking up shop space. As such, I'm going to be finding a new home for it soon. See- the larger tool is nice to have, but I can't afford the floor space for it.

As far as scrollies go, I have an old Delta 40-440 24" that meets my needs nicely. You could really use either tool, but for long, simple curves, I find the bandsaw easier to guide.

Whatever you do, try not to get a "little" tool. My dad used to have a Delta 9" BS and it was a POS. :) The frame isn't ridgid, the guides are horrible and it used a tiny universal motor. If you go with a good 12", or pretty much any 14" or larger, you'd get a cast iron frame and a belt drive motor- far more solid and greater power. Same thing with scrollies- go with a good one. I used to use a Dewalt, and it was a good tool, but was kind of a jack hammer all over the shop- this was at my college, so I didn't have control over tuning; it could have been badly set up; I don't know. The little B&D, Ryobi and Craftsman scrollies will get you started, but I'm not a big fan- no offence to others, as I know a lot of people can do great things with them. It's like a guitar- give a properly set up Tele to a guitarist and they can make beautiful music. Give them a stick with strings on it and a pickup, and they'll still make beautiful music- it'll just take them a lot longer to get it right. :)

Whatever you decide, have fun!

-Michael

Kyle Iwamoto
04-15-2010, 8:47 PM
I'd disagree on avoiding a small table top band saw. I have the 10" Rikon, and once it's tuned, it cuts straight and clean. It comes with roller guides. I also have a 14" PM with riser, which I use for the bigger stuff. If you don't plan on resawing, you really don't need size for quality. OTOH, that Delta, if it's the same as the one that a friend of mine has, is a POS.

Michael Peet
04-15-2010, 9:13 PM
I use my bandsaw all the time. More than my tablesaw, probably.

Mike

glenn bradley
04-15-2010, 9:55 PM
I'm looking at Grizzly G0555, G0555x, and several of their 17" models. Seems a 14" model would be adequate for cabinet/furniture making, but for a few dollars more could afford one of the 17" models. Is 17" overkill for my applications?

You could use a pattern bit in a router for your arch. Cut your pattern out rough and file/sand to final shape. If you goof, just make another. Once you have the shape you are happy with, use it as a pattern for your router.

As to 17" being too big, my 17" doesn't take up much more room than my 10" mounted to its factory stand so the footprint isn't really a problem unless your splitting inches. My DW788 scroll saw footprunt is bigger than my G0513X.

Joe Shinall
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Get the bandsaw first, because it's more versatile and more of a big purchase. You can always find scroll saws on sale for a hundred bucks or so. Got my Hitachi, brand new with stand at Lowe's for $79 about a year ago. Seen the Dewalts down to about a hundred a few times.

Van Huskey
04-16-2010, 3:07 AM
There are multiple ways to remove the skin from this cat. If you are makng one than one of the mirrors or using the same curve on more than one side the router approach is the way I would go. Doing it once I would probably go to the band saw and use the widest blade that will comfortably cut the needed radius.

In the end if you have the room and cash for a BS, get one! It will open up a HUGE array of options in all manner of situatons. Get the biggest/best one room and wallet allow but if you are trying to stay in the value range one of the Grizzly "14" Delta clones" is an excellent choice, the higher up the HP range you can go the better. The great thing about the clones is Carter makes all manner of upgrades that can make them into a REALLY fine saw, and it will be great when you ADD a big 18+ inch resaw machine because the first time you get a great hunk of wood and see what kind of magic you can produce by resawing veneer you will be hooked. I can here you thinking now, I never see any nice walnut burl and even if I did I wouldn't afford it. Consider this make a visit down to the BORG and sort through some 2X SYP and with the proper eye picking it out it can be resawed into some really nice bookmatched panels for cabinets and your out maybe $1 a BF and it looks like really nice rift sawn wood. One caveat though do NOT use a $200+ carbide resaw blade for this pitch up and burn out wood slicers or blade runners instead!

james bell
04-16-2010, 8:04 AM
I would think twice about getting a 17" BS in lieu of a scroll saw or smaller BS for one reason - minimum blade size.

I purchased a MiniMax 16 BS and got rid of my 12" Craftsman. Unfortunately, the MM16's minimum blade size was 1/4" and that was a stretch - it really wanted a 3/8" or higher. I retrieved my 12" Craftsman, and use it with 1/16" to 1/4" blades, keeping my MM16 for resawing and larger projects.

Cary Falk
04-16-2010, 9:58 AM
I vote to use the jig saw and get an oscillating edge or spindle sander.:D

Rick Markham
04-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I say get the 17" bandsaw, you can get a scroll saw later, you will end up using the bandsaw much more. I agree with getting the biggest machine you can. If your worried about using blades like 1/16" invest in some Laguna ceramic guides and the Cool blocks made for the small blades. You know your gonna come to the darkside, and end up resawing!:eek: Especially since you are building furniture. If you don't, your just going to constantly come across boards that you look at and think... "wow, that would amazing if I could book match that piece...:(" It's only natural... :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/011.jpg

Just my $.02!!! Get the big ole bandsaw and never look back!

Van Huskey
04-16-2010, 3:45 PM
I would think twice about getting a 17" BS in lieu of a scroll saw or smaller BS for one reason - minimum blade size.

I purchased a MiniMax 16 BS and got rid of my 12" Craftsman. Unfortunately, the MM16's minimum blade size was 1/4" and that was a stretch - it really wanted a 3/8" or higher. I retrieved my 12" Craftsman, and use it with 1/16" to 1/4" blades, keeping my MM16 for resawing and larger projects.

Just get a Carter stabilzer they make them for most saws and for 70-90 bucks you can use everything down to 1/16".

Rick, they make a replacement for the Laguna guides as well.

Mike Reinholtz
04-16-2010, 5:52 PM
This is perfect timing for me, I am going through the same band saw/ scroll saw debate. The saw I am looking at is a 16" Jet available locally (used) for a really good deal. The Jet website says it can handle down to a 1/8" blade, which I think is plenty small. Anyone have any opinions on this machine? Resaw is 12" (although I don't plan to resaw), the only thing that concerns me is the 1 1/2 HP motor, might be a little undersized.

model is a JWBS-16

not intending to hijack this thread :D

Rick Markham
04-16-2010, 5:56 PM
Thanks again Van, I will definitely check those out. Sounds like a much more economical plan!

Van Huskey
04-16-2010, 6:46 PM
Thanks again Van, I will definitely check those out. Sounds like a much more economical plan!

Although I prefer them an even more economical plan is just making hardwood guides to fit, lots of folks do that.

I really like the stabilzer and it works completely different from other systems they have a video on the Carter site.

Van Huskey
04-16-2010, 6:48 PM
This is perfect timing for me, I am going through the same band saw/ scroll saw debate. The saw I am looking at is a 16" Jet available locally (used) for a really good deal. The Jet website says it can handle down to a 1/8" blade, which I think is plenty small. Anyone have any opinions on this machine? Resaw is 12" (although I don't plan to resaw), the only thing that concerns me is the 1 1/2 HP motor, might be a little undersized.

model is a JWBS-16

not intending to hijack this thread :D

If it is the old version (I think the new one has a B at the end (JWBS-16B) those have some serious flaws and I would not buy one. The new one with the triangular frame is a pretty solid saw.