PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance

Dave Lehnert
04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Will be unemployed soon.

Any tips on Health Insurance. Best company's, worst company's. Been told that you can get insurance yourself cheaper than cobra.
Any and all tips welcome.

David Drickhamer
04-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Sorry to hear of your upcoming unemployment. Jobs are far and few these days.
You may want to check with the AAW. The last I heard they offered health insurance plans for members.
http://www.woodturner.org/news/

Dave

David Drickhamer
04-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your upcoming unemployment. Jobs are far and few these days.
You may want to check with the AAW. The last I heard they offered health insurance plans for members.
http://www.woodturner.org/news/

Dave

I just tried the link I sent you and it didn't work.
Try this one, it does work
http://www.woodturner.org/org/mbrship/insurance/health.htm

Dave

Mike Henderson
04-15-2010, 12:49 PM
If you're older, or have any illness in your history, especially cancer (even minor skin cancers) you'll be lucky to be able to get an individual policy, and if you can it will cost an arm and an leg. As a last resort, you can get a HIPA policy as long as you've been covered within the last 60 days (check that time), but the cost will be high.

However, if you're young and healthy you should have no problems.

Don't let the Cobra lapse until you're absolutely sure you can get another policy at a decent price.

When I was laid off I carried Cobra but eventually had to get an individual policy when the Cobra ran out. No one would insure me (one minor skin cancer) so I had to take a HIPA policy at close to $1,000/mo. The Cobra was a LOT cheaper.

Mike

[I really doubt if you can get an individual policy cheaper than Cobra (unless you're 21 and in outstanding health). Group policies are almost always less expensive than individual policies. Welcome to the wonderful world of "a group of one".]

Bob Lloyd
04-15-2010, 1:29 PM
Dave

Sorry to hear about your job loss, I heard that things were getting better. When I got divorced I stayed on Cobra as long as I could, much cheaper than elsewhere. It probably varies with each individual situation but, as Mike says, the groups are usually cheaper.

Don Jarvie
04-15-2010, 1:52 PM
Check with your state to see if they subsidize Cobra. You may also be elidgible for a state plan if the offer one.

I also heard that unemployment was subsidizing Cobra as part of the Federal package.Basicall it would cost you what you are paying now instead of the full price.

Good luck - it's no fun unless you have something lined up or can work under the table.

Rob Steffeck
04-15-2010, 1:57 PM
It all depends on your situation. For my situation (38 yrs old), COBRA was much more expensive than I found on my own. I believe it was a bit over $400 a month for single coverage. My current policy (self-employed), which is through a major insurer, is about $230 a month for similar coverage as COBRA.

I used an online comparison site (www.ehealthinsurance.com (http://www.ehealthinsurance.com)) that shows you all comparable rates for your situation (age, zip code, health, desired deductible, etc) as well as ratings on the companies providing coverage in your zip code. Its a site similar to what lendingtree.com is to mortgages, but a bit better in my mind.

Dave Lehnert
04-15-2010, 2:22 PM
It all depends on your situation. For my situation (38 yrs old), COBRA was much more expensive than I found on my own. I believe it was a bit over $400 a month for single coverage. My current policy (self-employed), which is through a major insurer, is about $230 a month for similar coverage as COBRA.

I used an online comparison site (www.ehealthinsurance.com (http://www.ehealthinsurance.com)) that shows you all comparable rates for your situation (age, zip code, health, desired deductible, etc) as well as ratings on the companies providing coverage in your zip code. Its a site similar to what lendingtree.com is to mortgages, but a bit better in my mind.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Thanks all for the info. Every bit helps.

David G Baker
04-15-2010, 4:39 PM
With Cobra you should be able to be insured with pre-existing conditions.

Jim O'Dell
04-15-2010, 5:52 PM
Don't forget to contact your current home/car insurance agent and see what they have available. They will have something to offer.
My wife got tired of my employer's insurance changing every year due to increases. She got Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Texas as an individual. It is more expensive, but she doesn't have to constantly change Drs. It was worth it to her. Being self employed, she may be able to deduct part of it as well, not sure. Jim.

Brian Elfert
04-15-2010, 6:36 PM
Diabetes is also a pre-existing condition that many carriers won't touch.

My dad might have retired already, but he is waiting until he can get Medicare as he has diabetes. He could do COBRA, but I guess he doesn't want to pay that much. I can't imagine an individual plan in your 60s would be less than COBRA.

jerry nazard
04-15-2010, 7:45 PM
Will be unemployed soon.

Any tips on Health Insurance. Best company's, worst company's. Been told that you can get insurance yourself cheaper than cobra.

Sorry about your employment situation. As far as worst companies, stay as far away from Cigna insurance as you can get. Cigna is staffed by the most consistently slipshod bunch of idiots ever to grace mankind with their incompetence.

Alan Trout
04-15-2010, 9:03 PM
If you are healthy with no weird stuff going on I would suggest a major medical that qualifies for an HSA (Health savings Account). I really like mine I pay for My wife 47yrs old, son 5yrs old and myself 43 yrs old. right at $230 a month and I put $400 to $600 a month in the HSA and use it for doctors visits, medication etc. I have been more satisfied with this policy than anything I have had in the last 20 years.

Good luck

Alan

Jim Becker
04-15-2010, 9:45 PM
Will be unemployed soon.

Now that really bits, Dave. I'm sad to hear that...

As someone already mentioned, don't rule out COBRA before you are sure you qualify for private coverage that is acceptable to you. In addition to other sources to check that were already provided, if you belong to any associations, guilds, etc., check to see if group health coverage is available to you that way.

Be careful of United Healthcare...I've not heard good things about them, especially relative to coverage exclusions, etc.

Dave Lehnert
04-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Now that really bits, Dave. I'm sad to hear that...

As someone already mentioned, don't rule out COBRA before you are sure you qualify for private coverage that is acceptable to you. In addition to other sources to check that were already provided, if you belong to any associations, guilds, etc., check to see if group health coverage is available to you that way.

Be careful of United Healthcare...I've not heard good things about them, especially relative to coverage exclusions, etc.

Yes it does.

9am was told to order more product for the weekend and get extra help in. 11am told the company was sold and all employees terminated. :( Kinda hard to take it all in after 24 years at the same place.

Rod Sheridan
04-16-2010, 8:59 AM
Yes it does.

9am was told to order more product for the weekend and get extra help in. 11am told the company was sold and all employees terminated. :( Kinda hard to take it all in after 24 years at the same place.

Unbelievable Dave, sorry to hear that you lost your job after 24 years of service.

Strangely enough last night I completed reading Spark, The story of Lincoln Electric.

In the book (highly recommended) they talked about Lincoln's no lay off policy, in effect since World War 2, and how the company believes that employees that feel secure will maximise their performance and willingness to take reasonable risks for the company.

I hope you find an extraordinary job, sorry I can't help with any insurance advice.

I'll be thinking of you.........Regards, Rod.

John Keeton
04-16-2010, 10:09 AM
If you are healthy with no weird stuff going on I would suggest a major medical that qualifies for an HSA (Health savings Account). My wife, at 62, has a similar setup with an Anthem policy. Deductible is $3500, but superb coverage after that. In addition, most all of her preventive care is covered outside the deductible - mammogram, bone density, etc. Cost is less than $300/month. We were able to build up the HSA with the difference in premium over other plans, and now she basically has 100% coverage with the HSA in place. I would have done the same, but I have partially paid coverage available through a prior state retirement situation.

Jerome Hanby
04-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Check your state's Blue Cross Blue Shield company. I can't speak for your state, but our plan has a product called Individual Blue that's priced at about what my contribution was at my previous job. Much much cheaper than Cobra (also much cheaper than the small group plan I got from some crappy company when I had my own business).

I didn't dig into the offerings, but here is a link for Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Ohio individual plans (http://www.anthem.com/wps/portal/ahpmember?content_path=visitor/oh/f2/s0/t0/pw_ad076667.htm&state=oh&label=Individual%20and%20Families%20Plans%20and%20 Benefits&rootLevel=2&state=oh&label=Individual%20Health&state=oh&rootLevel=0)

Rod Sheridan
04-16-2010, 1:25 PM
Jerome, all I can say is wow!

I looked at the link you provided for health insurance, there sure are a lot of decisions to be made when selecting health insurance.

I had no idea that it was that complicated with so many options........Thanks, I learned something.

Regards, Rod.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-16-2010, 2:25 PM
Unfortunately, one never knows how good their health insurance is until they get sick.

In general, I have found that group plans offer the better coverage. It seems that insurance providers often abuse folks with individual policies

-Jeff :)