PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Ken Hill
04-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I have some scraps that I would like to glue up for some game calls. Do I need to plane the edges before glue up or is a clean bandsaw cut good enough?

Kyle Iwamoto
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Quick answer, I'd plane or sand them. IMO, there is no glue ready bandsaw cut, you'll see the glue line. 5 minutes of work will save you a lot of frustration.

Richard Madison
04-15-2010, 11:36 AM
+1 what Kyle said. Surfaces must be smooth and flat (or perfectly matching).

Ken Hill
04-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Good enough....nice excuse to go buy a planer LOL

Richard Madison
04-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Or a jointer.

Larry Marley
04-15-2010, 11:49 AM
depending of the size of the "scraps" for a game call, a disk sander may be the ticket. clamping the scraps to a sled and kissing them through the table saw is valid as well.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Good enough....nice excuse to go buy a planer LOL

Oops, sorry I sucked you further into the vortex! :D I didn't intend for you to go buy a planer.

Bill Bolen
04-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Don't forget the good old hand plane. We turners ALWAYS think "more power" but just not needed with this small stuff...Bill..

Prashun Patel
04-15-2010, 12:05 PM
A power planer won't help as much as a power jointer.

A hand plane is good too. Gang them in a vise face-to-face and plane all the edges at once.

Ken Hill
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Jointer is what I meant. I was looking at the combo units, not sure on what to get yet

Cathy Schaewe
04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
If you reach any conclusions on the jointer, please post them. I've been looking too -

Prashun Patel
04-15-2010, 2:06 PM
I think a great 'first' jointer is the RIDGID 6". It routinely goes on sale for like $200-$300.

Just a great deal for a decent product.

Aaron Wingert
04-15-2010, 2:14 PM
I make A LOT of duck and turkey calls, and I can tell you that a jointed edge is very, very important on your glue-ups. Remember, your calls will be used in harsh environments and will not be babied like a delicate turned vessel on a shelf would be. They'll be bumped, bashed, dunked, left on the dashboard, sat on, etc... Those glue lines have got to be perfect. Furthermore, you're talking about glue-ups that are often turned to rather thin dimensions (on a duck call barrel for instance). You don't want your glue joint to be the weak spot.

How big are these scraps? If they're too short, a jointer might not be the ticket. In my opinion a planer certainly isn't the best option compared to a jointer. Sometimes a benchtop sander will do pretty well.

Bill Bulloch
04-15-2010, 3:07 PM
I'd buy the jointer/planner. About 35 years ago I built a butcher block kitchen table (40" x 65)" with a hand planner. It took about 100 hours of labor to get all the joints to an acceptable level. Ten years ago I built another one using a jointer and planner -- less than two hours on the top and much, much better joints.

But for such a small job the disc sander will be a better approach.

Have fun.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-15-2010, 5:52 PM
I think a great 'first' jointer is the RIDGID 6". It routinely goes on sale for like $200-$300.

Just a great deal for a decent product.

+1 on that jointer...... I think it's a really great deal.

Ken Hill
04-15-2010, 6:42 PM
I cut a few with my radial arm saw and glued them up...finish on cut ends was sufficient I believe. These , for now, will be butt joints, end grain to end grain. I will eventually do more stuff but one step at a time.

Aaron Wingert-no worries, i've broken $100 calls and $10 cheapo's. Cant fix stupid LOL

Reed Gray
04-16-2010, 12:12 AM
If you have your bandsaw tuned up perfectly, and have a sharp carbide tipped blade, you can get cuts that are pretty close to glue up ready. A disc sander for fine tuning the angles, and a drum sander for even thickness will give the best glue surfaces. Jointers and planers can leave micro scallops in the surface, which are okay, but not good.

robo hippy

Ken Hill
04-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Ended up buying a Porter Cable 6 inch joiner. I have a broken rib so the wife had to carry it in and set it up:eek: She did fine and it cuts like a champ.

First glue up is in the clamps, should have an end product by the end of the week