PDA

View Full Version : Trying to cut chipboard - only perforating?

Harper Abbot
04-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Happy Tax Day everyone :\
My first post here, and of course I'm looking for help :)

I recently acquired a 70 Watt Epilog Legend 32 mfg'd in 2001. I've been playing with numerous projects, but have had trouble with cutting chipboard (like a thin, low density fiberboard my wife would like to cut scrapbook stuff from). Despite changing cutting frequencies widely, I get a stuttering perforation effect on the backside of the workpiece wherever the laser path speed is highest. This more or less ruins the job, since there is not complete detachment. If I decrease the speed, I'm getting burning. The perforations look the same no matter what frequency I set, which concerns me.

It may be unrelated to this issue, but the focus lens is slightly 'milky' in appearance, though not visibly scratched or blemished. Is this a definite cause for replacement?

Mike Null
04-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Harper

Welcome to SMC.

Your first option should be to call tech support at Epilog. Calls are free and they're very good.

I suspect you have a lens issue based on your description. But how does it engrave and how does it cut other materials?

Martin Boekers
04-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I would say the lens definitly could effect the quality of the burn.
Even if the lens has nothing to do with this issue, if it can't be cleaned
consider investing in a new one.

I would call Epilog support to get their mix in the situation.

They are great at diagnosing issues.

Marty

Tim Eddings
04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I have a 75 ext and found that what works best is 50 spd 30 pwr 500 frq
on .055 in. thick chip board.
on most scrap book papper I use 100 spd 10 pwr 500 frq
Hope this might help for a starting point to try.

Richard Rumancik
04-15-2010, 6:38 PM
To me it sounds like the laser is not compensating for speed. The energy delivered per inch of travel should be constant regardless of speed, and the laser should reduce energy automatically if it needs to reduce speed (on a corner or short segment.)

I don't know the Epilog driver, but does it have a checkbox called Rate Automatic? If so, check it and see what it does. Otherwise, maybe look at your manual/driver and see if there is a setting that turns on compensation for speed.

GCC LaserPro call it "ramping" (as the energy has to ramp up or down on a corner). Each manufacturer seems to have different terminology, but there should be a "switch" somewhere.

I don't think a poor lens would cause what you are seeing as it would be constantly poor.

Harper Abbot
04-15-2010, 7:56 PM
Thanks for your tips, everyone. I'll give it a shot and hit up Epilog's support guys if it doesn't help. You're right, they are very helpful.