PDA

View Full Version : veneer question

chris toomey
11-14-2004, 10:01 AM
i'm making some small boxes. i want to veneer plywood to use for the tops and bottoms. what can i get by with for a substrate? can i use luan plywood? i have a sheet and would get quite a few lids out of it. baltic birch would be the better choice i'm sure...but it ain't cheap. any thoughts?...thanks.

Mark Singer
11-14-2004, 11:14 AM
I don't like luan....if you add veneer to one side add it to the other...otherwise potato chips....

John R Lucas
11-14-2004, 1:54 PM
MDF is the best substrate for veneering. You should be able to get in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4"

Steve Cox
11-14-2004, 2:10 PM
Anything you veneer has to be done top and bottom. I don't think luan would be a good choice as the grain is so prominent that it's likely you would get telegraphing through the veneer. Baltic birch would be the best followed by MDF, then probably particle board.

Brad Olson
11-14-2004, 4:48 PM
I've had the best luck with void free substrates. MDF is an example as well as void free plywood. Also I haven't had good luck with any plywood from the big boxes. I usually use Baltic Birch as a substrate because it is high grade, reasonably priced and you can get it in marine grade which will prevent the glue from softening during the glue up process helping to prevent warping. I have had excellent results with both regular and marine grade baltic birch plywood (my pefered substrate)

I also prefer plastic resin glue for veneering as it prevents creeping, which I have had this problem with PVA glues. Plastic resin glue is also a lot cheaper per sq ft of coverage, stronger, both which are a big advantage when you are using a lot of glue :)!

chris toomey
11-14-2004, 6:33 PM
thanks guys...i'll go with the baltic birch...not sure if i can get the 1/8 or 1/4 inch mdf