PDA

View Full Version : Wood identification?

Tony Shea
04-15-2010, 9:57 AM
Sorry I don't have a pic at the moment as my girl has the camera on a trip. But I dug out a peice of wood that was in the mix of some cherry I bought from a guy and jointed the face. It was a real darkish red, almost looked just like a mahogany. But gave off a heavy scent like cedar. I think its Spanish Cedar but in all the pics I see of the wood mine looks really dark in comparison. All the humidor boxes I see seem to have light color cedar on the interiors compared to my peice. It is really strong smelling therefore assume the Spanish Cedar. It seems to be pretty dence, almost the texture of mohagany. Is there a darker version of Spanish Cedar? May be a stupid question. I will get a pic up when my girlfriend gets back.

Joe Chritz
04-15-2010, 9:47 PM
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20spanish.htm

This is from the above webpage about spanish cedar.

"sample plank and end grain --- the color correction is a little off on this one; the wood is slightly less orange that what shows up here and in fact had I seen it from a distance I would have thought, based on the color, that it was mahogany (which isn't all that odd, really, since it IS a mahogany). "

There are 8341 different species of wood listed. (that is a guess on my part but a big number for sure).

Joe

Tony Shea
04-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Well that was easy. Thanks for the link. I have def concluded that it is Spanish Cedar. A couple of the more figured pics on that page looks just like the peice I have.